Ann Marie Langrehr: Full Time Student-Athlete and Editor-in-Chief for Her Campus Winthrop

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winthrop chapter.

Name: Ann Marie Langrehr

Hometown: Greenville, SC

Major: Mass Com with a minor in Creative Writing

Year: Senior

For starters, you are the Editor-in- Chief for Her Campus at Winthrop, what is one of your favorite things about this position?

My favorite thing about being Editor-in-Chief is helping inspire the girls who enter HC wanting to have a creative outlet. I also love the pride of running such a prestigious chapter of HC and seeing first hand our hard work and helping the chapter get pink level every year.

How did you handle being a full-time student-athlete and Editor-in- Chief?

That’s a little tricky lol. It helps that I learned my routine over the past three years as a student athlete but Emily is a HUGE help when I’m having trouble finding time for things. I set aside time every night to look over HC things after homework. I basically prioritize school; then practice and HC stuff get pretty evenly split. It is a little hard getting out of practice and having a phone full of unread texts and group messages trying to scramble to keep up while still trying to do well in class and my sport.

Recently, it was your lacrosse team’s senior day! What were some of the emotions you felt throughout that day? Was it a bittersweet moment?

Mostly excitement. I’ve been looking forward to my senior day basically since my freshmen year. It’s a day to celebrate the end of your career and I’ve had an amazing one in my opinion. I couldn’t be more blessed with the team I was given and the program I came into.

What is one thing that you’ll miss the most about Winthrop?

The people. Oh my gosh. These people are something else. I have met my lifelong friends and learned the value of having quality people in your life. I didn’t start out at Winthrop but after meeting the people I have then coming here I know that Winthrop is a place I will always love and the people I’ve met have made it an incredible 4 years.

Do you have any advice for the next Editor-in- Chief?

Be yourself. Seriously, just trust your gut. There are always going to be people who disagree or want to tear you down and if you just believe that your best is the best then the magazine is something you can hold as your pride and joy and know that you are a huge part in its success. As long as you are passionate and positive about what you are doing, the success will follow.

What does Her Campus mean to you?

Wow tough question. It means everything to me. It’s how I got involved in my major, met my best friends, helped prepare me for the real world, gosh it really is my lifeline and I don’t know what kind of person I would be today without it.

How has Her Campus impacted not only your life here at Winthrop, but as a professional as well?

Well through just doing things for the magazine in my spare time I was offered the social media position the summer before junior year and it lead to me finding my true calling. I plan to pursue a career dealing with social media and hopefully with Her Campus in Boston. It’s such an amazing company and girl power backup makes it the most desirable career for me.

A lot of people have a college bucket list, and I wanted to know if you had one. If so, have you completed your bucket list?

Hmmm. I never made a college bucket list but I can definitely say there is only one regret I have leaving this campus. That I didn’t study abroad. It’s hard to do that with a sport but I can also say that I’m glad I spent all of my semesters here. So, I’m hoping to travel after graduation to check that part off my regular bucket list.

A little birdie told me that you love Demi Lovato! With that being said, if you had to choose ONE Demi Lovato song to be the soundtrack of your life, which would you choose?

OMG YES, I LOVE HER. Wow this is the hardest question yet. Definitely her oldie song “Firestarter” would be a soundtrack to my life because the lyrics make you feel empowered and describe how I want to come off to the world. But really any of her songs could fit that for me like Warrior, Skyscraper, or Sorry Not Sorry. There’s too many to pick lol.

I know you enjoy traveling, so if you could travel anywhere in the world, where would you go?

Back to Paris, France. I want to live there one day. That city is amazing and breathtaking and everything I could ever dream of in one perfect place. There’s so much to do in the city hidden and in plain sight I would always travel there first if I had the option.

Full time student, athlete on the Women’s Lacrosse Team and Editor-in-Chief at Her Campus Winthrop. Ann-Marie can do it all!

Ann, thank you for being such a big part of this chapter and its accomplishments! Thank you for helping our articles be the best that they can be. You have such a sparkling personality, and we will miss you! Our biggest wish for you? To live a happy, successful life but most importantly… to meet Demi Lovato! We love you Ann!

Itzel Lara

Winthrop '20

Itzel Lara is a junior Social Studies Education major at Winthrop! She has hopes of becoming a high school teacher, and work her way up to teaching at a university! She has been a staff writer for Her Campus Winthrop for 3 years! One of the many reasons why Itzel loves Her Campus is because of the love that everyone has for one another – Her Campus has been a home away from home for her. She is originally from Los Angeles, California and relocated to South Carolina to continue her education. She is absolutely obsessed with giraffes! She loves exploring new places - especially waterfalls! If she's not binge watching something on Netflix then she's probably napping or hanging out with her dog, Jasper! Follow her on instagram (@ItzelCeleste_)! 
Winthrop University is a small, liberal arts college in Rock Hill, SC.