Ann Marie Langrehr: Athlete, Social Media Director and Student

Name: Ann Marie Langrehr

Year: Junior

Major: Mass Communication 

Minor: Creative Writing

Hometown: Greenville, SC

What are you involved with on campus?

Currently I am one of the Social Media Directors for Her Campus at Winthrop as well as a member of the Women’s Lacrosse team here at Winthrop. 

How long have you been playing lacrosse for? 

My dad put me in my first summer camp the year we moved to Pennsylvania, so probably around 1st grade. 

Lacrosse doesn’t seem to be a very big sport in the south–how did you happen to start to play?

My dad played for about 20 years. Since he’s from Maryland he grew up playing it along with practically all his siblings and peers. I was the first child to show interest in the sport he loved, so he put me in camps and I fell in love with the sport and haven’t stopped playing since. 

Do you find it hard to play a sport in college and juggle schoolwork?

Some days are definitely harder than others. It’s a bummer sometimes to go to practice before a big test and not be able to study during that time. Also staying up late to study then getting up at 6 am the next morning to go lift weights isn’t fun. But honestly having my day so busy keeps my priorities in line. I know exactly how much time I have to do homework and it pushes me to meet deadlines and gives me a schedule to get all my stuff done accordingly. However, sometimes I forget about some homework or a quiz because my schedule is so busy. 

What’s a tip you have for incoming freshman athletes for adjusting the the workload and practice?

School comes first. We are called STUDENT Athletes for a reason. Any coach will tell you your grades come first. Also come into school with an open mind, ready to meet new people. You can recreate yourself and be a new person. It’s hard to juggle your life and people from back home with your new and super busy life here as a student athlete, but once you get into the groove of prioritizing homework, sleep, practice, eating (VERY important) and friends then you should focus on people back at home. If they truly care about you they will understand your busy schedule and will be there for you when you need them. Your coaches don’t just want you to succeed on the field but in the classroom too so you can represent our team well. 

What’s a typical weekday for you like? 

That depends on the day actually. Our practice schedule consists of about 20 hours of practice during the week. Monday is my off day for practice so I made my class schedule heavier on those days. I take 16.5 credits so I take most of my classes on Monday’s and Wednesdays. My last class ends at 6:15 on those days and then I have meetings on Wednesday’s for HC from 7-9 and then I’m done for the day.

Tuesday’s and Thursday we have our two-a-days. We lift at 6 am and then most of us have class after that, and then we meet back at our field at 11 for practice and conditioning. On those days I have class until 4:20.

Fridays we have practice and conditioning usually around 3:00 till 5:00 and then we have ice baths and rehab after. During the week we have to go get ice baths and rehab between classes or whenever we have time. Saturday we have lift from 10 am to 11 then we head straight out to practice from 11 till 1 o’clock. Sunday is different every week. We have tournaments during the fall that usually are on Sunday’s but when we don’t have one we have practice from 11 to 1 o’clock usually. Then we get the rest of the day to get ready for the new week. 

What do you like to do in your spare time?

I have a twin that I’m close with and I’ve become close with my mom since coming to college so I like to FaceTime them a lot. I’m a social media junkie so I’m always looking for fun things to do to post on my Instagram and VSCO. I love taking pictures and hanging out with my friends. And my teammates are awesome and are like a second family to me so there’s always someone for me to hang out with who has ideas to do fun things. I really like movies so I watch a lot of those with my friends. Any other free time I have I will drive home to hug my dogs. They’re my favorite things on this planet.  

What’s a fun fact about you?

Hmmm….well I’ve never been out of the country so my dream job is to be a travel blogger and use social media to show people beautiful places to travel. I’m obsessed with Paris so it’s my dream to go there someday as well. 

Emily Murphy has been with Her Campus Media since 2018, and is currently the Branded Content Associate. She was the Campus Correspondent and Editor/President at her chapter at Winthrop University for four years, but has had a passion for all things writing since she was young. When she's not scribbling ideas down for her next branded article, she's watching reruns of Seinfeld while scrolling Pinterest for apartment inspo. Follow her on Instagram at @emilysmurfy