Addie Crawford ’17: Program Coordinator of Orientation

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winthrop chapter.

Name: Addie Crawford

Hometown: Georgetown, SC

Year: Sophomore

Major/Minor: English/Psychology

Job: Program Coordinator of Orientation

Q: What is your favorite part of being the Program Coordinator of Orientation?

A: Being a part of the team that makes a freshman’s first experience of campus a wonderful one!

Q: What motivates you to do this job?

A: Seeing the impact the orientation program has made on new students and hearing stories on how their experience made them feel welcome at our University.

Q: What’s the best part of Orientation at Winthrop University?

A: How quickly connections are made and bonds are formed between new students, their Orientation Leaders, and among the OL team.

Q: What do you do as a Program Coordinator of Orientation?

A: Basically, I do the behind-the-scenes things that make our Orientation program possible. I take care of building and space requests, connect with our faculty and staff on behalf of the program, and help the director of our office with scheduling and anything else that needs to be done!

Q: What has been the most memorable part of your job?

A: Being able to represent the Office of New Student and Family Programs and take pride in our Orientation program and the impact it has on the University.

Q: How did you get the job?

A: I was first an Orientation Leader for 2014, and then applied for this position during that summer. I was interviewed, and chosen for the position by the Director of our office.

Q: When is orientation at Winthrop University and what does it involve?

A: Freshman Orientation takes place over the summer, and transfer orientation sessions occur over the summer and in the spring. Our Orientation program involves new students being placed into groups and paired with an Orientation Leader who leads them through the processes of registering for classes, experiencing campus and residence life, meeting and making connections with other new students, and learning what sets our campus apart.

Q: What is your favorite part about Winthrop University?

A: The size is perfect: not too big, not too small. I love how the campus feels like a family, students and faculty support each other and push one another toward success.

Q: Why did you choose to attend Winthrop University?

A: Again, I loved the size and the close connections between students and faculty. With my mind set on being an English major, I talked to a few professors in the department and once again, I fell in love.

Q: Do you have any advice for freshman?

A: Be open. Open to new experiences, open to new people, and open to new ideas. Challenge yourself, and take advantage of everything the campus has to offer.

Q: What are your hopes/future plans for after graduation?

A: Eventually, I want to teach English abroad. After graduation, well, we’ll see what happens!

Winthrop University is a small, liberal arts college in Rock Hill, SC.