Acknowledging 10 Empowering African American Women in Honor of Black History Month

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winthrop chapter.

It’s finally February which may only be significant to some because of Valentine’s Day or for being the shortest month of the year. But as an African American I know that February brings much more to the table than those things because it is Black History Month.

Black History Month excites me because so many African Americans can be celebrated for their contributions and amazing things that they have done instead of focusing on the negative image that some people like to protray us as. Black History Month is no different from any other type of history though which means sometimes woman do not always get the recognition that they desrve.

Here are 10 boss lady African American women whose names you need to know!

1. Beverly Johnson

Beverly Johnson rose to fame when she became the first African American woman to appear on the cover of American Vouge in 1974.

2. Hattie McDaniel

Became the first African American woman to win an Oscar in 1940 for her role as Mammy in “Gone with the Wind.”

3. Shirley Chisholm

Before Hillary there was Shirley. Shirley Chisholm was first African American woman elected to congress in 1968. She was also the first African American female to run for President in 1972 and ran a very successful campaign.

4. Vanessa Williams

Many of you may know Vanessa Williams as just an actress but in 1983 she made history as she was was crowned the first African-American Miss America.

5. Misty Copeland

In June 2015 Misty Copeland became the first African American woman to be promoted to principal dancer in American Ballet Theater’s 75 year history.

6. Madam C. J. Walker

She was an American entrepreneaur, philanthropist, and also the first female self-made millionaire in America.

7. Etta Moten

In 1934 Etta Moten sang for President Roosevelt and his wife Eleanor Roosevelt at the White House which made her the first African American to ever preform at the White House.

8. Alice Coachman

Alice Coachman was an American track athlete and also the first African American to woman to win an Olympic gold in 1948.

9. Ursela M. Burns

Ursela Burns was the first black woman CEO to head a fourtune 500 company. She was the CEO of Xerox from July 2009 to December 2016.

10. Rebecca Lee

When she graduated in 1864 she was the first African American woman in the United States to earn a Doctor of Medicine degree.

All of these amazing and talented African American women have paved the way for women of all races to live out their dreams. Let these women empower you to be better and to always strive for excellence.

Oprah said it best when she said, “Think like a queen. A queen is not afraid to fall. Failure is just another stepping stone to greatness.”

Winthrop University is a small, liberal arts college in Rock Hill, SC.