Style

7 Ways to find your style and How to style an outfit

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winthrop chapter.

I know that social media can be a place of judgment and comparison but it can also be a place for inspiration and creativity. I have used social media to help me find my core style and inspire me to try new looks . I want to give you all some advice if you’re maybe in a style funk or just not sure about what you like. 

1. Revamp your Instagram 2EB81DB0 FF5F 425E 9D72 FE94145FF82C
  • Start saving and liking pictures on your Instagram of outfits you would wear. This is common sense but doing this will show you what things you like and what you don’t. I love saving all my pale into a board to come back to when shopping. 
  1. Scroll scroll scroll on Pinterest 85047474 46D4 40DE B129 1426E7C01393
  • Pinterest is my new tiktok, just scroll and have some fun! Save and search things that you like to see on others and see if it works for you. 
  1. Only wear the things that make you feel to most confident.  D953D5AF 49E6 4C52 853B EE0C737F5FFE
  • Confidence is key when it comes to style and shopping. If you’re loving what you’re wearing and look confident then you’re going to look good regardless. 
  1. Your style doesn’t have to be in one category  F5A08902 505E 49B1 ABF7 64C1107B5BD6
  • You don’t have to be chic, or just tomboy, you can be both. Don’t only buy the outfits that match one style, buy the clothes that you think fit together and mesh the best 
  1. Cater your outfits around a certain piece.  95812FF5 B5B1 4DF6 B2E2 17FCFFABB050
  • I found this to be the best advice when styling an outfit. Choose an item that you’re going to base your outfit around. Personally, I like to base my outfits around my purse. 
  • I will choose the purse I want to wear, and find everything based around that to match. I find it really flattering to match your shoes with your purse, it looks like you put in a lot of effort. 
  1. Find signature jeans 675272F8 9525 41E2 B6BC 244D1C1F354A
  • Jeans are the hardest to find, they have to be right in all the right places. I find it easier to put an outfit together if you have jeans that you feel good in. I would say to have a good blue Jean, black jeans, ripped jeans, and colorful jeans. Jenas you can always re-wear and mix and match. 
  1. Accessories  22B51265 5700 4706 81E3 48474440C0F0
  • Jewelry is one of my #1 tips to make an outfit and just find your style. Everyone is drawn to different kinds of jewelry and styles, so this is a tip that will really make your style unique. I find with simple outfits, I like to wear the most jewelry, it makes me feel clean and intentional. I would recommend finding a few pieces on Amazon and seeing how much it changes your outfits. 

These are my tips I’ve been using that last couple of years to truly find my style and what works best for me. The key is confidence, regardless of any style tip. Try new things, new colors, see how you like it. I truly think when I found my style and fits I liked, I felt like I knew myself a little more. I hope these tips inspire you to FIND YOUR STYLE.

Hello, my name is Jasmine Williams. I am currently a sophomore and I'm majoring in Mass Communication. Other than being on the HC team, I also have a blog and YouTube channel. I'm a Marketing Intern to Winthrop Dining and on the promotions team for Winthrop DSU! I enjoy listening to podcasts and drinking iced coffee.