Life > Academics

7 College Tips from a Third Year Student

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winthrop chapter.
PACKING ESSENTIALS

Before I started my freshman year, I was worried about one thing: what on earth am I going to bring and not bring with me? It’s quite literally impossible to bring everything you own with you, so rule that out immediately. Narrow down your outfits based on the season(s) it will be until you go home next and rotate them throughout the school year. Only bring school supplies that you know you will use – you really only need your technology and textbooks. However, having a couple of notebooks on standby is always nice. As important as it is to not overpack, it’s also important to not under-pack. Have a little “in case of emergency” kit that includes First Aid, extra supplies of things you use often, and medicine such as Advil and Dayquil/Nyquil.

STAYING ORGANIZED

College is basically the opposite of high school. Instead of spending the majority of your time in classes and having minimal homework, you spend about 25% of your time in class and 75% of your time doing homework. Because this is a major adjustment, you must stay organized and learn time management. Some methods that work for me are using a whiteboard for assignments (erase them as you complete them), a wall calendar and planner for events and meetings, and using Google Calendar to stay on top of everything. I can always count on my Google Calendar to tell me if I am free or not!

Pro Tip: planning time for homework and studying is a huge help. Don’t just wing it all the time!

GETTING INVOLVED

The best advice that I can give to anyone in college is to get involved. There are so many different clubs and organizations that colleges offer to their students; you will always fit in somewhere. You can even serve on an executive committee. Even if you think that could never be you – let it be you. College is all about breaking out of your shell and discovering yourself. Getting involved on campus is the best way to do this – not to mention the great connections that you can make along the way! I would have never met my best friend if I hadn’t gotten involved during my freshman year.

SEEKING SUPPORT

There will be times when you are in need of some extra support or assistance – and that’s okay. Utilize your campus resources such as tutoring or health and counseling. There is never anything wrong with needing help with adjustment, managing the chaos of life, or your academics. You are paying for your education and have access to these resources – take advantage of them!

CHANGING PERSONALITY

As I said before, college is a time to discover yourself. Don’t be afraid to step out of your comfort zone and try something new. Meet new people, take spontaneous adventures, and make the most of every moment. It’s sad to say, but this is the last time in your life that you will have this much freedom. Do not take it for granted! Accept yourself for the person you are becoming and live with no regrets.

SAVING MONEY

We all know how expensive college is – we’re not here to have that discussion for a millionth time. However, we are here to discuss saving your money. Your future does not wait for you. It will come faster than you may be anticipating. My advice would be to get an on-campus job and open up a new savings account. This way, you can put the money you make into that account and when you graduate, you will have a cushion there for you. Be smart with your money!

EATING HABITS

It can be very hard to eat regularly as a college student. It is unusual for me to eat 3 meals a day. However, it is important to eat at least 2 meals – a late breakfast and dinner. Sometimes, having a friend that you regularly eat with can help you with this habit. I understand that oftentimes, you simply do not feel like going across campus for food. However, you have to make yourself get up and do it. It is also a good idea to go food shopping regularly and get simple meals that you can put together or make in a microwave.

Emma Oresic

Winthrop '24

Hi everyone! My name is Emma Oresic and I am a junior Elementary Education major at WU. Some of my favorite pastimes are painting, watching Netflix, and reading and writing.