sagar patil 8UcNYpynFLU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
sagar patil 8UcNYpynFLU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

6 Ways to Take a Study Break From Finals

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winthrop chapter.

Happy finals week, Collegiettes!

While we are all busy studying away for our final exams this week, it can be easy to get overwhelmed very quickly. It is important to remember to take frequent breaks, so we can end up retaining as much information as possible. Here are some ways to take a break from the books!

1. Exercise.

Exercising is a great stress reliever! It helps clear your mind and allows you the perfect opportunity to get away from the books. Doing any type of physical activity will boost your serotonin levels and will allow you to return back to studying with a more positive mindset. You will feel a lot better after you are refreshed and focused. 

2. Watch a Christmas Movie.

After finals week is over, holiday break begins! Watching a Christmas movie will remind you of the reason for the season. They will give you something to look forward to, knowing that these finals are the last thing standing in your way of freedom, family, and Christmas lights galore. The end is near and soon there will be no homework to worry about!

3. Cook/bake cookies.

One of the most comforting things when you are stressed is food. In particular, cookies! One of the best, more relaxing activities to get your mind off of studying is baking cookies. The time they spend in the oven will allow you time to look at your notes, all while filling your room with the amazing smell of some homemade goodies. One of the best rewards for a study-job well done is an edible one!

4. Take a long bath/shower.

I definitely recommend jamming to your favorite music in the shower. Singing is an instant stress reliever for most people. There is something so powerful about connecting with certain songs that allows you to feel like you are a completely different person (which is the perfect way to feel like you do not need to study). Taking a long hot bath or shower is super relaxing and will leave you refreshed and ready to study when you get out.

5. Make a craft.

Everybody loves a good DIY. There are plenty of super cute crafts on Pinterest that do not require many materials. Doing a fun activity like this will instantly relieve some of your stress and will remind you that it is okay to relax and have fun! Inviting some friends to do this with you will allow you to be around people who help you de-stress as well.

6. Take a nap.

Sometimes, sleep is much more valuable than looking over notes. It will be nearly impossible for you to remember anything you read if you can barely stay awake. Sometimes, taking a nap is the best break – when you wake up you and your brain will feel refreshed and ready to study some more.

Remember, taking breaks while studying is extremely important! Studying nonstop will not allow you to retain any information. Do some of these things to de-stress and relax so you can absorb as much information studying as possible and ace those finals!

Good luck Collegiettes!

Alyssa Romanski

Winthrop '21

My name is Alyssa Romanski and I am a sophomore Early Childhood Education Major at Winthrop University! I love writing articles for others to read, as well as photography and videography!
Winthrop University is a small, liberal arts college in Rock Hill, SC.