This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winthrop chapter.

Studying for finals can seem never-ending. Taking breaks from studying is important to help you get more done and not burn out. Study breaks are not all built the same though. Some can be productive, while others less productive, and possibly even harmful to your overall progress. Here are a few productive study break ideas to help you get through studying for finals. 

1. Take a walk outside 

Even if it’s just walking around the outside of your building a few times, getting outside during the day will help expose you to vitamin D, which has been shown to regulate mood and decrease depression and anxiety. Walking around will also make you feel better after you’ve been sitting down for an extended period of time. If you don’t want to walk alone, grab a study buddy to join you or phone a friend so you have someone to talk to!  

2. Try stretching or yoga 

Stretching and yoga can help relieve stress. There are a lot of different yoga routines on Pinterest and YouTube to help you get ideas on what types of moves to do. One of my favorites is this 10-minute de-stress workout. This workout helps to stretch a variety of muscles and gives you added energy while being suitable for all skill levels! This is another yoga sequence to help you de-stress that you can do most of without getting out of your seat!  ​​​

3. Try meditation 

Meditation can help you to clear your mind and de-stress. Meditation guides can be found on YouTube or apps such as CalmAware, and Headspace. You can also meditate without a guide. Just set a timer for five to ten minutes, and then slowly inhale and exhale, focusing on your breath. If you have thoughts come up, observe them, and then let them go. Try to stay focused on your breath. Meditation will help you clear your head of all the irrelevant thoughts and make room for the new, important thoughts.   

4. Have a dance party 

Blast your favorite tunes and have a dance party with your study buddies or yourself! While this may not be the best study break if you’re studying in the library, if you’re at home or somewhere else, a dance party is an awesome way to get you up out of your seat and moving! Dancing away to your favorite songs will help you de-stress and energize you up for more studying. 

5. Read Her Campus articles 

Her Campus articles have a variety of topics written by girls from not only Winthrop but other colleges around the United States! There will always be something new for you to read to help distract you from the stress of studying for finals. Whether it’s an informational article, a personal story, cute listicles, news stories, or activities to do around town, there’s something everyone can enjoy!  

6. Color or do something creative 

Coloring has been known to be a calming activity that reduces stress. Adult coloring books can be found at many stores such as Barnes and Nobles, Walmart, and Target, and coloring pages can even be printed out online. Enjoy another type of art? Do that! Creative outlets tend to release stress, making them the perfect study break!  

We hope these study tips will help some of you take a productive break from studying. No matter what kind of break you decide to take, just make sure to take one in moderation and then get back to the real task at hand: studying! Thank you for reading and good luck on finals Collegiettes!

Molly Murphy

Winthrop '19

21-year-old business student at Winthrop University with a passion for fashion.
Winthrop University is a small, liberal arts college in Rock Hill, SC.