This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winthrop chapter.

Elegant hairstyles can be worn for any formal occasion including casual everyday events. As a college student myself, I struggle with making time for myself, especially when it comes to my hair. However, when I do make time to do my hair it makes me feel confident and put together. These hairstyles also take less than 5 minutes to do. You don’t need to go to the hair salon to recreate these hairstyles unless you absolutely want to. All you need is a comb, hair brush, hair elastics, bobby pins, and hair spray or gel. I also linked some videos below to show how recreate these gorgeous hairstyles.

The first one is a French updo. A French updo is very simple hairstyle but can take a few times to master. This hairstyle is super cute and elegant. It can be worn for special occasions or just for a casual event. This hairstyle looks complicated to do but it is actually pretty simple. Just comb all of your hair to one side and secure it with bobby pins. Then wrap it to the opposite side. Another way to do this hairstyle is by wrapping all of your hair around your fingers and pulling it upward pulling on it a bit to loosen it up and then secure. Hair spray works great with achieving this style. It also takes a few times to master so if you try this and don’t get it the first time, don’t be discouraged.

The second one is called a Chignon which is French for hair bun. This hairstyle can be achieved in many different variations. Curling your hair before can add extra volume and texture but isn’t necessary. The easiest way to create a Chignon hairstyle is by braiding your hair in any type of braid and wrapping it upward securing it with bobby pins at the nape of your head. Once you secured it in place, you can loosen it up by slightly tugging on certain strands to make it look more casual. This hairstyle also works best with hairspray by holding it in place. Adding a cute headband can also accentuate this hairstyle as well as curling pieces of hair in the front.

This third hairstyle is a Pin Curl Bun. It is very chic and simple to create. It combines well with curtain bangs but can be done without bangs as well. I recommend curling your hair before doing this hairstyle so that there is added texture and volume. Curly hair works best with this hairstyle because it makes it easier to form a pin curl. Once your hair is curled you just put it into a high ponytail. Then your wrap the curls up and pin with a bobby pin to secure it into place.

The fourth one is a Milkmaid Braided Updo. This hairstyle is super cute and simple to do. All you need is bobby pins, clear or black rubberbands depending on your haircolor, a comb, and hairspray. Separate your hair into two parts and braid it. Tug on the hair at the braid to make it appear fuller and then wrap it to the opposite side and pin it in place. Adding hair gems can make this hairstyle much more elegant for formal events such as prom.

The fifth hairstyle is a high ponytail with a side part. First, start out by parting your hair to one side using a comb. Secure the hair you parted in the front with an elastic. Then, pull the rest of the hair up into a high ponytail using gel or hairspray to secure all hair. You can curl and tease the pony tail to add volume or you can add a pony tail extension to make it look fuller. A lot of celebrities like Kim K, Arianna Grande, and Jlo, use ponytail extensions to accentuate their ponytail making it sleek and elegant. Once you finish the pony tail, you can wrap the previously parted hair around the ponytail. This hairstyle is perfect for any occasion and look so effortless.

The sixth hairstyle is a Low Bun. This hairstyle looks very effortless and classy. It works best with hair that has already been curled. First, start off by sectioning it off into the sections from front, middle, and bottom with the bottom having more hair than the other sections. With the bottom section, wrap the hair into a bun and secure with bobby pins. Twist the middle section and tug on it a bit then wrap around the bun. Wrap the other section around the bun and secure in place.

Hello my name is Marranda Coronilla. I am a licensed cosmetologist pursing my bachelors degree in Business Admin with a concentration in marketing and a minor in visual design. I love to share my insights and advice as a cosmetologist on beauty related topics.