6 Curly Hair Hacks That You’ll Always Use

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winthrop chapter.

When it comes to curly hair, it’s a battle of you versus your curls. It seems that 9 times out of 10 you never win.

But fear no more this battle is YOURS! You’ll come out triumphant with a head full of luscious shiny curls from these 6 hacks for curly hair.

1. Detangle before you wash your curls

You might say, “What are you crazy I’ll be bald!” However, if you detangle before you wash your hair it’ll save on time in the shower and help get your curls under control. Use small sections and oil to easily glide through and get rid of knots.

2. Deep Condition over night

Deep conditioning your hair overnight moisturizes your hair and leaves it strong, soft and manageable. Plus your significant other will be closer than ever because your hair will smell amazing!

3. Dry with a tshirt

Toss the towel to the side and use a t-shirt to dry your curls with. Towels absorb all the moisture from our hair, which we curly girls need. The t-shirt is not as rough as a towel and it’ll absorb the excess water by gliding without causing the F word…“Frizz”.

4. Twirl your curl

While you are going through your wash day routine, add this trick to it. While your hair is damp and contains some product, twirl pieces of hair that frame your face away from your face for a more defined polished look.

5. Volumize your curls

You know what they say, “Go Big or go home”. If your curls tend to be flat or limp there are two methods that’ll help you reach for the stars. You can apply metal clips while hair is wet to lift your roots, or pick it out with a wide tooth comb or afro pick.

6. Pineapple method

The pineapple method is a high ponytail on top of your head that’ll preserve your curls for wonderful second, third, or maybe fourth day curls. 

Have fun doing all of these awesome hair hacks and remember: you and you’re hair are beautiful. 

My name is Shakeyma Irving or Vicky maybe Roxy all depending on the day of the week and how I'm feeling! I am a Sophomore Mass Communication major with a minor in Marketing at Winthrop University in Rock Hill, South Carolina. I love all things fun and spontaneous, and bringing joy into every atmosphere. My biggest aspiration is to become a Creative Director of a thriving magazine, and to run my own online business.
Winthrop University is a small, liberal arts college in Rock Hill, SC.