6 Cruelty-Free Alternatives to Your Favorite Makeup Products

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winthrop chapter.

It is a fact of life that makeup and animals are two of the best things in this world. Sadly, many of your favorite makeup companies may be guilty of testing on animals. It only takes a few minutes to go through your makeup collection and do research on how animal-friendly your products really are. Many companies are cruelty-free themselves, but are owned by parent companies that are not, so this list is limited to brands that are completely cruelty-free.

Here are a few well-known products from brands that test on animals, along with more ethical alternatives:

Make Up For Ever’s HD setting powder

Make Up For Ever’s HD setting powder ($38) is a holy grail product for many beauty bloggers, but the brand is known for buying ingredients from companies that test on animals. If you want a cruelty-free product with a similar long-lasting effect, try Too Faced Primed & Poreless Powder for $30.

MAC lipsticks

If you’re a fan of the bright pigmentation of MAC lipsticks ($17), but aren’t a fan of their reputation for testing on animals, you should check out Wet n Wild’s MegaLast lipsticks instead. Wet n Wild is known for being cruelty-free and their long lasting lipstick option is only $1.99.

Lancôme Artliner Liquid Liner

The Lancôme liner ($30.50) is known as the #1 liquid liner on the market, but it’s pricey and the company is not free of animal cruelty, so a better option is Prestige liquid eyeliner ($8). The company does not test on animals and the product is long-lasting and easy to use.

Benefit Watt’s Up Cream-to-Powder Highlighter

Benefit’s Watt’s Up Cream-to-Powder Highlighter ($30) is a favorite of celebrity makeup artists for its delicate glow effect, but the company tests on animals in countries where it is required to. A cruelty-free alternative is Sonia Kashuk Highlighter Stick in Sparking Sands ($11).

Smashbox Photo Finish Foundation Primer

Like Benefit, Smashbox only tests on animals in countries where it is required. However, many makeup artists swear by their Photo Finish Foundation Primer ($16). If you love the effect of the Smashbox primer, try e.l.f. Mineral Face Primer for only $6.

Stila Stay All Day Liquid Lipstick

Stila is known for their full-coverage matte liquid lipsticks, but they are not cruelty-free. There are many Colourpop alternatives to specific Stila shades, like “Bad Habit” ($6) as a dupe for Stila’s “Aria” ($24).

Avoiding unethical brands is easier than ever before, so do your research before splurging on a product – there may be a cheaper animal-friendly alternative!

You can find a complete list of cruelty-free companies here

Winthrop University is a small, liberal arts college in Rock Hill, SC.