This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winthrop chapter.

Looking for a new show to watch on Netflix? Or just tired of the same old show and want to branch out? Well we’ve got you covered! 

Since it’s Black History Month why not support black actors/actresses and watch their killer shows on Netflix!!

Here is a list that’s just right that are all black TV shows to catch up on before their new seasons air soon!!

Atlanta

Atlanta stars Emmy and Golden Globe Winner Donald Glover alongside a cast of phenomenal black actors, including Straight Outta Compton’s Lakeith Stanfield.  It focuses on Glover’s character and his cousin (Brian Tyree Henry) trying to navigate their way through the rap scene in Georgia’s capital.  Last year the FX show took won at the Emmys for Best Television Series and Glover took home the award for Best Performance by an Actor in a Television Series.  Season two premieres March 1st at 10 p.m. on FX, and you can catch up on the last season on Hulu or FXNow.

Insecure

Insecure is the creation of former webstar Issa Rae.  Aside from staring in the show with comedian Yvonne Orji, Rae is also a producer and a writer for the HBO series.  The show follows the trials and tribulations of characters Issa and Molly, best friends in living in Los Angeles in their late 20s.  Season two ended in September of last year and Rae and her writing staff are currently at work to create a third season, and the first two seasons are available on HBOGO.

She’s Gotta Have It

She’s Gotta Have It is a series based on Spike Lee’s first movie by the same name.  The series follows New York City native Nola Darling, played by Dewanda Wise.  Darling is an artist living in gentrified Brooklyn, and juggling relationships with three different men.  The Netflix series was released November 23rd of last year, so there’s no release date for the next season, but Lee has said that he is about to get into the writers room to begin creating season two.

Queen Sugar

Queen Sugar is based on the novel by,  Natalie Baszile chronicles the lives of the Bordelon family, more specifically siblings Charlie, Nova, and Ralph Angel.  Charley played by Dawn-Lyen Gardner, is a basketball wife who lives a lavish life in Los Angeles.  Nova is a New Orleans journalist and Ralph Angel the youngest of the three is a father, recently released from prison.  The conflict arises in the show when the three inherit their father’s sugar cane farm in the fictional St. Josephine, parish in  Louisiana.  The OWN show produced by Ava Duvernay, last aired in  November of 2017, and took home two NAACP Image Awards last year for “Outstanding Drama Series” and “Outstanding Writing in a Dramatic Series.”  There is currently no premiere date for season three but series is scheduled to go into production this year, but you can catch up on the first two seasons on Hulu and OWN.

Being Mary Jane

Being Mary Jane is coming to an end very quickly.  The series stars seasoned actress Gabrielle Union and follows broadcast journalist “Mary Jane Paul.” The series started as a TV movie on BET and was then turned into a series created by Mara Brock Akil.  The series has been airing since January of 2014 and has had a four season run and will end with a 2 hour movie finale later this year.  You can catch the first four seasons on Netflix and BET’s website.

Dear White People

Last but most certainly not least is Dear White People.  Dear White People is a spinoff of the  2014 movie by the same name.  The show chronicles the lives of black students at an Ivy League school.  The series stars Logan Browning as Samantha White a student who works at the on-campus radio station where she hosts a show called aptly named Dear White People.  The series premiered on Netflix in April of last year and was renewed for a second season this past June.  There is no premiere date for season 2 but you can binge the whole thing on Netflix.

Check these shows out so you can obsess with us over them, Collegiettes! Happy Black History Month!!

Winthrop University is a small, liberal arts college in Rock Hill, SC.