5 Ways To Change Your Life in 2015

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winthrop chapter.

5 Ways To Change Your Life in 2015

The end of 2014 comes with the promise of the same old New Year’s resolutions that are often unimaginative, repetitive and never accomplished. Across the U.S., college women make goals to meet more guys, lose weight and drink fewer sugary drinks. Ladies, if it didn’t work last year, it’s not going to magically happen in 2015. If you’re considering making a change, consider one of these less conventional ideas that don’t necessarily live in 2014’s top 10 New Year’s resolutions. 

1: Break up with those bad habits

This could be something serious like drinking depending on how much you like to indulge (as long as you’re 21 or older), but it could also be something like biting your nails or even making judgmental comments. The AGA has great steps to help you break bad habits:

1. Identify the habit, and define it.

2. Identify the trigger (a.k.a. what sets you off).

3. Identify the reinforcement or what you’re getting out of the habit.

4. Replace the habit with another action that will provide the same reinforcement.

2: Admit when you’re wrong

Refer to No. 1 above if you think you’re never wrong because that’s a bad habit!

Becoming the bigger person and admitting you’re wrong can usually solve the drama we often find ourselves involved in. You could wade into this resolution and start with small things like “You’re right, I don’t know where we’re going” or just dive headfirst into the deep end by calling your mother to admit to everything you were wrong about when you still lived at home.

3: Quit glorifying busy

Most of last year’s top 10 resolutions included adding things to your life. Let’s face it, our culture (especially in college) glorifies being busy. On a scale of one to 10 – one being strolling down easy street and 10 being pull-my-hair-out stressed – our generation is averaging at 5.4, according to the APA. Instead of trying to add as much as possible to your resume, how about adding time for a coffee break or for painting your nails?

4: Facebook cleanse

No, we’re not asking you to get off Facebook (don’t be silly). But you should try going through your friends list to get rid of those names and faces you can’t remember. Admit it: no one remembers 1,000 people from the past well enough to be “friends”! Another general rule of thumb for current friends: If you don’t say hi to them on campus, then you probably don’t know them well enough to be Facebook official. Focus on the content of your friendships in 2015, not the quantity

Did you hear that? That was the sound of a potential employer rejecting your application. Go ahead and take down all those compromising Spring Break photos. ;)

5: Let It Go!

In the words of Elsa, just let it go! College women can easily get hung up on lots of things, from grades and gossip to why our crush didn’t call us back. It’s easy to sit and overanalyze, but while you’re doing that you could have been studying for your next test or giving another guy a chance. Long story short, you’ll never move forward in 2015 if you can’t let go of 2014. 

These resolutions are simple and free, and they can help to make your college experience a positive one. Plus, who says you only have until January 1st? It’s never too late to make a goal for yourself. Start off the semester right, and come back to WU a brand new Eagle!

Junior mass communication major and a member of Chi Omega at Winthrop University.
Winthrop University is a small, liberal arts college in Rock Hill, SC.