5 Ways to Celebrate Your 21st Birthday, That Don’t Involve Going to a Bar.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winthrop chapter.

Everyone dreams about turning 21, and having the ideal birthday bash. You can plan down to the minute, but unfortunately you can’t plan what day of the week it falls on or what professors have in mind for your class. Sometimes birthdays fall on weeks where you are swamped with homework, tests, projects, presentations, and papers. Just because you are bogged down with work, doesn’t mean you can’t have fun. Here are 5 ideas that don’t involve getting drunk and not being able to function the rest of the week.

Top Golf

We are lucky to have a Top Golf just a short 25 minutes down the road. This is perfect for people that like to be active- you do not have to be good at golf to participate! They have a full bar and menu, so you can still treat yourself to a drink on your 21st.

Go Out to Dinner

Take your special night to go to your favorite restaurant. Many restaurants give out free desserts, or even a free tequila shot on your birthday. You can also use your special day to try somewhere new.

Studio Movie Grill

Grab your friends and head down to the Epicenter where Studio Movie Grill is located. You can watch the new Rom Com while being served your favorite foods without leaving the comfort of your seat. They also have a full bar with monthly drink specials.

Night at Home

This option might be for you if you are felling extra stressed about your schedule. You and your friends can make your favorite home cooked meal and crack open a bottle of wine. There are also so many delicious recipes for boozy-cupcakes. Check them out here!

Time Capsule

This will be a fun craft night for you and your friends. Make a time capsule for your 21st. Put EVERYTHING that is relevant to your life at the time in it. What your favorite song is, who is your crush, what is your favorite alcohol, or what is your favorite candy, are just some ideas. When you turn 30 open it up and have a blast from your past!

Most importantly do what you want to do! This is your day and while you only turn 21 once, you are now legal to drink for the rest of your life. There is no need to cram it in all in one night. As long as you are with your friends doing something you love, you are going to have a memorable birthday.

Winthrop University is a small, liberal arts college in Rock Hill, SC.