5 Tips For A Girl Going Through Recruitment

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winthrop chapter.

Recruitment session-one of the most exciting yet overwhelming times in some girls’ college experience. Since this time can typically be so nerve-racking I wanted to give you some tips from someone who has been there.

I was in your shoes this time last year and  wanted to pass along some tips that I learned that will hopefully benefit you as you embark on this journey!

1. Be Yourself

If you get into a sorority you will be with these girls for the rest of your college experience and you want them to know and love you for who you really are. The girls who you are truly meant to be sisters with will like you for your true personality. 

2. Don’t freak out everyone else is nervous too

No mater what side of recruitment you are on there are going to be nerves. Everyone wants everyone else to like them and puts pressure on themselves to make sure that they are close to perfect as possible. News flash! No one is perfect. Its okay if you say something that might sound dumb or you blank when asked a question, trust me you aren’t the first and wont be the last.

3. Keep an open mind 

I know you have heard this a thousand times already but I am going to say it again. While you might think that you have done your research and know some girls from each organizations, when you go into the recruitment parties the organization might surprise you. You will never fully know what an organization has to offer until you get to experience what they do during recruitment. The recruitment process is set up the way it is for a reason, trust this process and have faith that it will all work out the way that it is meant to. Don’t get narrow minded and take a deep breathe; it will all be alright!

4. Don’t be afraid to talk to your Rho Gammas

These girls gave up their letters for this time period to help you. Take advantage of their knowledge and experience. They have been in your shoes and can relate to what you are feeling. They will be able to talk to you unbiasedly about what is the best decision for you. You are not going through this experience alone, your Rho Gammas are there by your side every step of the way . 

5. Don’t make your decision based on your friend(s)

This process is something that is going to have an impact of the remainder of your college years, make sure that you are focusing on yourself. While it would be awesome if you and your friend became sisters it would not be the end of your friendship if you ended up in different letters. Just because your friends might end up in a different sorority that doesn’t mean that you can’t be friends. It simply means that you will have more friends that you can add to benefit your life. You are not bound by your affiliation, you can be friends with other CPC women or non Greeks just as much as you can be friends with your sisters. 

Although it might seem stressful and overwhelming, just remember to take a deep breathe. This is an exciting time in your life, make sure to take it all end and really enjoy the experience. It will all work out in the end, trust the process, and enjoy the crazy ride that is formal recruitment. 

Winthrop University is a small, liberal arts college in Rock Hill, SC.