This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winthrop chapter.

90 Day Fiancé is a reality television show on TLC. 90 Day Fiancé highlights different Americans in love with foreigners and their experience with the K-1 visa process. In order for these couples to break the distance they must get married within 90 days of their partners arrival in the United States or they will have to go back to their home country.

Love is Blind.

The show follows the lives of Americans who have some way, or another found love outside the United States. These Americans go on vacation for a getaway and find themselves meeting the “love of their life”. The American will then start the process for their partner to come to the states permanently through the K-1visa. The K-1visa is a visa for fiancés to come to the United States if they can get legally married within 90 days. Some couples end up with their happily ever after. The chemistry and love story between certain pairs is undeniable. Others are questionable. Some couples are hard to watch as the chemistry is not there. Some couples get married and then once their partners receive their green card, they abandon the marriage.

Stereotypes Are Hard to Avoid.

A common theme upon the arrival of the fiancé coming from their country is prejudice. The families of the American subjects are usually skeptical of the other parties’ intentions. The families and friends subtly or brutally express to their loved one that they are being used for green card status. In personal interviews for the show with producers those outside the relationship will say cruel things. It is hard to watch and almost even harder to believe people can still think that all foreigners are scammers trying to find a way into America. These stigmas are what make the K-1 visa process so hard for couples that are in love to be reunited in the states. The K-1 visa requires a lot of paperwork, money, and proof. While the K-1visa process is strict and costly this does not weed out all of the disingenuous couples. While no couples in the show claim to be scammers. As the season plays out you can tell as one partner becomes more reserved and, in many cases, leaves the other partner after getting married. In the case of Mohammed and Danielle, 3 months after their nuptials (at which Mohammed would not kiss Danielle which he claimed his faith kept him from doing so), many fans believed Mohammed committed fraud. 3 months after their marriage he had already left Danielle multiple times. Mohammed started going on trips to different states claiming to be visiting friends. Danielle and her best friend followed Mohammed to Miami where they had found out through social media, he was being unfaithful. Danielle tried to get an annulment but was unsuccessful.

Men Are Creepy. (already knew this one)

On 90 Day Fiancé, many American subjects who are white, middle aged to elderly males explain they searched out a foreign wife because American women are “too much”. In some cases, men are drawn to women from the Philippines because of the low divorce rate. In the case of Mark and Nikki. Mark had previously searched out a Filipino wife who he brought to the states and had children with. After some time, this wife left him and their children. After their children were grown up Mark wanted to find love again. Mark searched out another Filipino wife. This time Mark (58) fell in love with Nikki (19). Read that again. Mark continually throughout their season compares Nikki to his ex-wife and even gifts her the same car he gifted his ex-wife. Nikki repeatedly expresses her feelings about being compared to his previous wife and Mark agrees to tone it down but will continue to talk about her as she is his children’s mom. Mark also brought Nikki with the intention of her not working and being a housewife. Nikki was okay with this prospect but then had her doubts when Mark said he needed her to sign a prenuptial agreement. Which stated IF he passed before her, she agreed she would be left nothing. Since Nikki had no American education or job prospects, she was very hesitant to agree. In the end she only agreed because she felt if she did not marry him and returned to the Philippines her life would not have the same quality.

Culture Shock Is Not Always Temporary.

Cultures differ around the world. The difference between customs and expectations in different cultures are an adjustment couples have to learn to accept in the show. With Chantel and Pedro, the adjustment is hard to get over. Chantel started video chatting with Pedro in attempt to learn Spanish for school. Then they fell in love. Chantel brought Pedro from the Dominican Republic after they met when she went there on vacation. Chantel told her family when Pedro arrived, he was there indefinitely on a student visa. In reality he was there on a K-1visa and they had to get married within 90 days. Towards the end of the 90 days they did tell Chantel’s parents the truth and had a small ceremony. Pedro did have to sign a prenuptial agreement for Chantel’s parents to bless the union. As they did not want him to inherit their assets with Chantel. Pedro’s mother was angered by this and called Chantel’s family “stupid Americans”. During the first year of their marriage Chantel and Pedro resided in a studio apartment. Pedro now obtained a green card which allowed him to work. When he began working, he sent a huge amount of his earnings back to the DR to his family. Chantel did not understand why he felt he had to do this. Pedro explained his role as the son in his culture and how he did not have a father. Pedro explained he had to take care of his mother which is why he payed for her to have a 3-bedroom apartment. Chantel and her family were confused why his mother who was a lawyer could not just support herself. Chantel’s father expressed to Pedro that he accepted his culture but wanted to ensure Chantel was being taken care of. Chantel asked Pedro’s mother if she would be comfortable with a partner spending more money on his mother then her. Pedro’s mother told Chantel if she did not like it to leave him. Chantel did not leave Pedro she claimed she was okay with him sending money as long as their life quality in the states was raising as well.

The Producers Deserve A Raise.

In summary, the producers need a raise. The producers on this show will do whatever they can to get information out of the subjects. In many cases the producers have doors shut in their face and are put in rough situations. This show displays many uncomfortable pairings, situations, and conversations. But it is a satisfying break from our own lives.

AnnMarie Juarez

Winthrop '22

hey guys!! i am a imc major at wu.
Winthrop University is a small, liberal arts college in Rock Hill, SC.