5 Things To Do in Charleston over Christmas Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winthrop chapter.

It’s the most wonderful time of the year!

Christmas time is near so pack up your suitcase and come down to visit Charleston, SC! Charleston is beautiful during Christmas and there are so many things to do. Below are 5 festive options to choose from!

1. Festival of Lights 

The festival of lights is located in James Island. The festival of lights starts Nov. 9 and ends on Jan.1, 2019. The festival of lights allows you to drive through and explore the winter wonderland. Also, you can roast marshmallows, go to the gift shop, and visit Santa.

2. College of Charleston Holiday Light Show 

The College of Charleston Holiday Light Show is located in downtown Charleston. The light show starts Dec. 14 and ends Jan.1, 2019. The light show is second annual Cougar Night Light Holiday at the Cistern Yard and Randolph Hall. The show contains a light and sound show.

3. City of Charleston Holiday Parade

The City of Charleston Holiday Parade is located in downtown Charleston. The parade is on Dec. 16, 2018 and will start at 3 p.m.  The parade will be hosted by the Charleston Fire Department and the City of Charleston.

4. Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer Live 

Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer live will be held at the North Charleston Performing Arts Center. The musical will be on Dec. 19, 2018 and will start at 7 p.m. You can get your tickets on TICKETMASTER.COM. 

5. Charleston Sleigh Ride 

The Charleston Sleigh Ride is hosted by Pegasus Charter and it is a Christmas cruise. the cruise starts Dec. 14 to Dec. 25, 2019 and it is located in Johns Island. The tickets cost $4 and you have to schedule a time you want to go on their website. Overall, it is a great experience because you get to sing Christmas music and bring your own food to eat on the cruise.

Whether you live in Charleston and are looking for something to do or you’re planning a visit over break, there’s a ton of holiday fun waiting for you! So, come down and visit the Holy City! 

Jendaya Fleming

Winthrop '21

Senior Mass Communication Major and Women's Studies Minor. I love a good horror film and hanging out with friends. 
Winthrop University is a small, liberal arts college in Rock Hill, SC.