This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winthrop chapter.

Collegiettes, it is no surprise that a lot of people don’t know how to properly take care of their hair. The results? Split ends, dry hair that easily breaks, and hair with no shine.

Fear not! We are here to end your bad hair days. Here are 5 tips to improve your hair care techniques!

1. DON’T wash your hair every day

Washing your hair everyday removes natural oils that are good for your hair and help it shine! All hair types are different, but you should wash your hair every 2-3 days.

2. Protect your hair before heating

This is very important to prevent extensive heat damage to your hair-especially if you use a hot iron or curlers often! This brings us to the next tip…

3. Try alternative hairstyles that don’t require heat

This will save your hair from being burned to a crisp. Explore Pinterest or Youtube for some great hairstyle ideas that don’t require heat! Try new braids, buns, or even scrunch your hair!

4. Trim your ends

Trimming your ends is important to keep your hair looking healthier and letting it grow faster! You should get your ends trimmed about every 6-8 weeks, depending on how often you use heat on your hair.

5. Deal with wet hair with caution

Wet hair is very susceptible to being damaged. It is fragile, so if you have to brush it while wet, do so with caution!

We hope these tips are helpful to you! Share your favorite hair care tips with us on Twitter @hcwinthrop

Ali Maclay is a biology major, chemistry minor, psychology minor, and honors student at Winthrop University. She is an aspiring Neuroscientist and hopes to work at St. Jude Children's Hospital. She is the Facebook Social Media Director for Her Campus Winthrop's Facebook page, and associate member of Tri Beta Biological Honors Society, and a member of the Student Affiliates of the American Chemical Society at Winthrop. When she's not doing academic work, working at her job, or writing for HC, she's probably binge-watching Netflix, dreaming on Pinterest, stress cleaning, or eating ice cream.
Winthrop University is a small, liberal arts college in Rock Hill, SC.