This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winthrop chapter.

It’s October, which means it is Halloween and red wine season! But even in the time of COVID and with wearing a scary mask, it’s probably not a good idea to get wine drunk at a Halloween party this year. If you’re feeling dangerous anyway, and looking for a scare, let me suggest a list of five scary movies and five red wines to get that Halloween fix from the comfort of your couch.

1. Hocus Pocus and Elouan Pinot Noir

For the first pairing, I recommend the light-hearted Disney classic to go with a light-bodied wine, the Pinot Noir. Hocus Pocus is a fun movie with the scariest character nothing more than a clumsy zombie who is actually just trying to help out the well-intentioned heroes of the movie. If you’re looking for a decent bottle of Pinot Noir, go with Elouan, which is vinted by some of the same winemakers who used to work for the more expensive Meiomi. 

1. The Nightmare Before Christmas and the 1448 Red Blend

The Nightmare Before Christmas is a Halloween movie, but also a Christmas movie, so naturally it pairs with a red blend. On the surface it might seem strange, but you quickly realize it’s smooth and wholesome, very easy to enjoy. When it comes to blends, the Runquist 1448 is surprisingly drinkable for a cheap bottle. It’s a blend of two lesser-known varietals, petite syrah and petit verdot, which makes it totally unique and different, just like you. 

1. It’s the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown and Banshee Cabernet Sauvignon

Traditional, popular, universally-liked, this movie/wine combo appeals to everyone. If you don’t like Charlie Brown or Cabernet Sauvignon, then why did you even click on this article? Since it’s Halloween-themed, do yourself a favor and grab the Banshee Paso Robles Cabernet Sauvignon. If you’re looking for an actually scary movie to watch with your wine, try The Witch. It is the opposite of Hocus Pocus in every way imaginable, and legitimately terrifying. You’ll probably also need to buy two bottles of Banshee. Or three. It’s a good wine. 

1. Beetlejuice and Saldo Zinfandel

Red zinfandels are bold, fruit-forward and go best with food. So get out the snacks and pour yourself a glass as you enjoy another Tim Burton movie. Honestly, this could have been a list of Tim Burton movies to pair with red wines. Burton’s incredibly imaginative characters and settings will please the eye as the bottle of Saldo gets you fantasizing about a young Alec Baldwin. If you don’t want to spend 30ish dollars on a bottle of wine, but still like the sound of a Zinfandel, 1000 Stories is a decent cheap substitute. 

1. The Babadook and Penfold’s Shiraz

The Babadook, is an Australian psychological horror that explores how grief can manifest as mental illness. Naturally, an Australian film pairs well with Australian wine, and the Shiraz is the nation’s new world take on the French Syrah. This bold and full-bodied red wine matches well with the mood of the overral film. However, you might need two bottle to sleep through the night after this movie.

Whether she’s hiking with her family or trail running through nature, Cecilia loves taking photographs of her journey through life. She studies history at Winthrop University and will graduate in 2022.
Winthrop University is a small, liberal arts college in Rock Hill, SC.