5 Reasons Why You Should Live Off Campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winthrop chapter.

After two years of living in a dorm, living off campus is the best decision that I’ve ever made. No more signing in guests after 8 p.m., listening to an RA or RLC force building rules down your throat, swiping your Winthrop student I.D. to get in and out of the building, and living with a roommate 2 feet from you. The fact of the matter is, I have a space to call my own. It’s nice to know that I can wake up every morning, go to my own kitchen to make a cup of coffee and sit on my couch to watch the news. Because I can.

It’s relaxing knowing that it’s a home and not a dorm. Here are some reasons why you should live off campus.

1. You have your own space.This may not seem like a huge deal to most people, but it’s a huge deal. When you’ve shared the same air with somebody for two years, it’s a blessing and privilege when you get your own space. You get your own closet, your own queen-sized bed, your own private bathroom. No more sharing for you.

2. Cooking is now a real thing.Finally I can make my mom’s delicious casseroles that I love so much. I can actually go grocery shopping for real food and not make boxed Kraft mac and cheese every night. Maybe I can actually watch my diet now — or not.

3. The fight for a parking spot is nonexistent.Along with my own bedroom, I actually now have my own space to park my car. No more playing the hunger games in the parking lot to get a good parking space. No more walking across a railroad track or a busy road to get to my dorm building. No more walking in the pouring rain to get from my car to inside. It’s wonderful.

4. No more fire drills.When you live in a dorm building, the fire alarm will go off randomly when it’s really not convenient for you. (Ex: while you’re in the shower washing your hair) You also might that have that occasional student who likes to bake in the hall kitchen at 4 a.m. which accidentally sets off the alarm because they can’t cook. Then you’re forced to go outside in the freezing rain in your pajamas for 45 minutes while you wait until the fire department inspects and clears the building. Not fun. You won’t get any of that in your own apartment/house.

5. You have the freedom to do what you want.Do you want to bake a cake at midnight with your roommates? You can do it. Do you want a giant couch shipped to your door step? You can do it and not have to carry it across campus. Do you want to throw a party on a Friday night? You can do it — but be respectful of your neighbors.

The fact of the matter is — if you have the option to live off campus, do it.

Follow Catherine on Instagram and Twitter, @cathclowe!

Catherine is an ambitious twenty-something woman living in Rock Hill, South Carolina where she attends Winthrop University as a mass communication major. She is the President and Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at Winthrop, which she co-founded in November 2014. She has also been a member of the Winthrop chapter of the Association for Women in Communications, and is currently the President of the Society of Professional Journalists chapter at Winthrop. Since being involved with Her Campus, Catherine received an internship at Her Campus Media in Boston, MA. She also currently works as a Chapter Advisor for the company and writes about Grey's Anatomy each week for the site. Because of Her Campus, she has also received writing positions at many publications throughout her 3 years at Winthrop. Outside of her busy lifestyle, Catherine enjoys relaxing with her friends on the weekends and having Sex and the City marathons. She can't live without her dog, family, Cosmopolitan, friends, Starbucks, Instagram, The Bachelor, Grey's Anatomy and of course Chick-fil-A. Follow her on Instagram and Twitter: @cathclowe!