Wellness > Sex + Relationships

5 Pros of Being In a Relationship vs. Being Single

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winthrop chapter.

As college students, we’re all at different points in our lives. Some of us are getting married, some of us are breaking up, others are happily single.

No matter where you are in life, there’s always a positive side. Some might consider being single a catastrophe, but while there are pros to being in a relationship, there are also pros to getting out of one.

Pro #1:

Relationship– Someone loves you seemingly unconditionally.

When you’re in a relationship, that person always supports you. On your worst days, during your most embarrassing moments, and in your ugliest Snapchats, your partner never fails to remind you that they love you for the person you truly are. One of the best parts of a relationship is having someone to love you in spite of your flaws.

Single– You learn to love yourself.

Being single helps you learn how to take care of yourself. It gives you time to focus on self-love and health. You may even decide you want to get in shape or lose weight, and you’ll be doing it for yourself. Without a relationship partner convincing you to go out to eat and watch Netflix all day, it’ll be an even easier feat to accomplish.

Pro #2:

Relationship– You’re never bored.

There will always be something you can do with your partner. You’ll keep yourself busy by spending time with them, driving to see them, running errands together, or going on day trips.

Single– FREE TIME.

Being single lets you focus on yourself and do anything you want to do. Every bit of your free time no longer goes to your partner. You’re able to schedule opportunities, work, and fun without worrying if it lines up with their schedule.

Pro #3:

Relationship– You always have someone to make plans with.

Relationships are convenient for lazy days and errand running; your partner can be the person you turn to every day for companionship because you could never get tired of spending time with them. They’re always down to hang out with you and they make even the most mundane days more exciting.

Single– You spend so much time with your friends.

Friends are often pushed aside when someone starts a new relationship. Other friends are so important because they understand you in ways your partner won’t. Being single allows you to focus on your friends. You’ll take adventures together, have late night talks, and take lots of cute pictures, and make so many memories that could never be tainted by something as silly as a breakup.

Pro #4:

Relationship– You have someone to spoil.

It’s incredible to have such a close bond with another person and know all of their likes and dislikes. You’ll see things that remind you of your partner everywhere and you’ll always feel tempted to buy them presents (which inevitably you will because how could you resist?). Surprising your partner with little gifts like coffee or food leads to the most genuine smile that will warm your heart.

Single– You have SO. MUCH. MONEY.

Not having to spoil anyone else gives you the means to spoil yourself. Go to the spa, buy yourself that new video game, eat at a nice restaurant with your friends. You can afford it now! Every meal only costs you enough for one serving and you’re going to eat out so much less frequently.

Pro #5:

Relationship– You’ve always got someone to make your day better.

At the end of a rough day, you have someone who genuinely cares and wants you to be happy. Their words alone could brighten your day and improve your mood.

Single– You don’t have someone that’s going to make your day worse.

Every relationship has its ups and downs, but the downs can intensely ruin your mood. Fighting sometimes is natural, but it puts adds such a negative ending to an otherwise pleasant day. Being single means that no one else’s bad day has to become your bad day.

Collegiettes, your relationship status doesn’t define who you are. Embrace your time in college whether it be alone or with a partner.

Relationships are fulfilling when you’re with the right person, but, contrary to popular belief, sometimes it’s even better to get out of a relationship than get into one.

Biology and Spanish major. Winthrop University Honors 2020. Peer Tutor. Succulent enthusiast. Dog lover.