5 Latinx Celebs To Have On Your Radar

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winthrop chapter.

These days, diversity and representation of minority groups in Hollywood is not perfect, but it has improved greatly. Latinx representation in particular has made strides in the last few years, which is very exciting and gives us hope that it will get even better. With that said, actress Gina Rodriguez, star of the hit CW show Jane the Virgin has started something known as #MovementMondays on her Instagram page; each Monday, she spotlights a Latinx celebrity who is doing great things in Hollywood. Check out 5 who should be on your radar!

1. Judy Reyes

Where you’ve seen her: Scrubs, Devious Maids, Jane the Virgin, Claws

Why she rocks: She encourages the empowerment of women and the importance of hard work.

2. Aimee Carerro-Rock

Where you’ve seen her: The Middle, Baby Daddy, Young & Hungry, Elena of Avalor

Why she rocks: She is the voice of the very first Hispanic Disney princess, Elena of Avalor. She finally gave young Hispanic girls a doll that looks like them.

3. John Leguizamo

Where you’ve seen him: Miami Vice, Ice Age, Moulin Rouge, Romeo and Juliet

Why he rocks: His one-man Broadway show, “Latin History for Morons”, opened recently, and its goal is to educate both Americans and Hispanic people alike about Latinx history, which is often overlooked in regular curriculums in schools.

4. Junot Diaz

Where you’ve seen him: He’s an award-winning writer, most known for his novel, The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao.

Why he rocks: He has shed light on the lesser-known aspects of Latinx culture, such as those who are from the Caribbean. He writes about what it’s like to have to live in two cultures, because he immigrated to the US from the Dominican Republic when he was just four years old. President Obama cited him as one of the writers whose works inspired him during his presidency.

5. Rosario Dawson

Where you’ve seen her: Men in Black, Rent, Percy Jackson and the Olympians: The Lightning Thief

Why she rocks: Dawson is a major activist for issues that deeply affect that Latinx community. Last year, she campaigned with Voto Latino to engage our communities to get out and vote. She also advocates for immigration reform.

Collegiettes, this list just scratches the surface of figures in the public eye who are trailblazers for the Latinx community. For even more, check out Gina Rodriguez’s Instagram, @hereisgina, every single Monday!

Isabella is sophomore political science major at Winthrop University. She is equal parts coffee, chick fil a, and Friends quotes. She loves her sorority, memes, traveling, petting dogs, Barack Obama, and telling bad jokes. She can connect anything to The Office and when she grows up, she wants to change the world. Check out her adventures on Instagram: @izzyazaleaxo
Winthrop University is a small, liberal arts college in Rock Hill, SC.