5 College Room Essentials for Your Zen Den This Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winthrop chapter.

As the fall semester starts to pick up pace, stress levels start to rise. As a college student it’s always important to have your happy place to come back to after a stressful exam or endless hours of classes.

I love being able to unwind and relax as soon as I step foot in my room. After all, this is where you will be spending the next year of your life. Here are 5 room essentials you can’t live without this year:

1. Candles, Candles, Candles!

You can never have enough. With the fall season rolling around your options are endless! Pumpkin spice, cinnamon, and vanilla latte to name a few. The possibilities are endless! My favorite candle is the Volcano scent by capri BLUE. (Good for ALL seasons.)

2. Aromatherapy Diffusers

If you’re into all things scents like me, this is an amazing way to wind down at the end of the night. The air diffuser will fill your room with essential oils that can relax and calm you before your long night of beauty sleep! My favorite scents are lavender and orange because they promote sleep and can relieve stress, which we all need in our lives.

3. Cozy pillows (lots of them!)

After a long day at practice all I want to do is come home, shower, and jump in my bed. Extra pillows are essential to a great nights sleep, or if you’re just hanging out doing homework or watching Netflix in bed. Body pillows recommended!!!

4. Pictures of Families and Friends

If you’re far away from home like myself, it’s always a mood booster to come in my room and see pictures with my best friends and family hanging on the walls or in cute frames. Try using cool DIY tricks to hang your pictures by using fishing wire and clothespins! This is a great way to take away that homesick feeling in your home away from home.

5. Plants

Believe it or not, there are tons of cute plants that you can decorate your room with that don’t need sunlight to thrive. Some of my favorites are succulents. These little guys come in all shapes and sizes and need little watering. There are other plants like Jasmine, which is known to have a soothing affect on the body and mind and English Ivy, which can help reduce allergens and toxins in the air. Who wouldn’t fill their rooms with these bad boys?!

With this list being short and sweet, why wouldn’t you have the most coziest zen den of all time this year?! Time to wind down and get the relaxation you deserve after a hard days work.  Enjoy Collegiettes!

Winthrop University is a small, liberal arts college in Rock Hill, SC.