4 Steps to Landing an Awesome Internship

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winthrop chapter.

It’s that time of year again–searching for spring or summer internships!

In high school, the end of your fall semester was the time you would take to do nothing but hang out with your friends! However, when you’re a rising junior or senior in college, this is the time to start searching for a future internship!

Most majors actually require an internship as a degree requirement, and while it may not be mandatory for some majors, it is still highly recommended to complete one. Not only will you gain work experience in your field, but you will also get the opportunity to network with professionals, build your resume, and potentially get a job offer upon graduation!

Here are the 4 steps to land your dream internship this year!

1. Create your resume.

Your resume will display your work experience, leadership skills, accomplishments and other acheivements. AKA: Show employers how awesome you are! Professional resumes ideally should consist of a cover letter highlighting your skills and why you think you’d be an asset to the place you’re applying and then one page of your experience.

It’s important to have the experience part of your resume completely finished before applying for positions. Make sure to mainly list work and leadership experience that would contribute to your knowledge for the internship. You can always visit Winthrop’s Career and Civic Engagement Center to receive help on creating one. Here is a sample template of a resume as well: http://www.clarkson.edu/writingcenter/images/Senior_CS_Resume.jpg

2. Research and apply!

Do you want to intern somewhere far away? If so, then look into the cost of doing out of state internships and programs available for students! Do you want to intern close by? If you do, then see what businesses/companies are offering internships.

If you really want to intern at a specific company, then email them; even if they don’t have a posting up for an internship, still email them. Showing interest and reaching out to them will make a great impression on employers. If they weren’t planning to take on an intern, they could completely change their mind after you reach out. The important thing is to keep your options open and apply to many different companies/businesses–don’t put all of your eggs in one basket!

3. Interview time!

Once you have applied to a variety of places, you are bound to get some interviews. These could be over the phone, on Skype, and most commonly, in person. It’s important to be prepared for every interview. 

• Make sure to arrive on time for the interview
  • Research some facts about the company/business before you go. Employers definitely appreciate if you care enough to know things about the company/business.
  • Bring all neccessary materials with you. These include: several copies of your cover letter and resume, samples of your work (if applicable), and student business cards if you have them. You can enclose all of these in a clear portfolio folder and give it to your interviewer. (Sample student business card: http://www.uh.edu/policies/graphic-standards/_img/stationery-student-calling-card-1.jpg)
  • Dress appropriately! Regardless if the work culture is more casual or professional, dress in at least business casual. Being well dressed makes a first great impression!
  • Be ready to talk about skills and experience listed on your resume, have an answer on why you should be the chosen candidate and prepare questions you have for the interviewer.
  • Send a “thank you” email once you leave. This is just to thank the interviewer for taking their time to meet with you. 

4. Network

Networking is about making connections and building enduring, mutually beneficial relationships in the professional world. By visiting career fairs/programs at school, talking to professors and shadowing professionals; you will make connections. Give these people your student business cards or information. These personal relationships enable you stand out, rise above the noise and may be your key to getting an internship or job in the future. 

Happy internship searching, Collegiettes!

Her Campus at Winthrop wishes you the best of luck!

Winthrop University is a small, liberal arts college in Rock Hill, SC.