This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winthrop chapter.

Fall is here and it is by far my favorite season of all!

Who wouldn’t want 70 degree weather to cozy up under some blankets or just binge watch every Halloween movie ever made! I have made an October bucket list of almost everything you can do to make this fall season your greatest!

From enjoying the simple things like the leaves changing to checking out some of the great activities that this season brings, I hope I can share my love of this weather to you so you can have an awesome Autumn!

1. Decorate for fall/Halloween! To kick off this spooky season you can’t go without putting up at least one decorative bat or skeleton somewhere. Get in to the Halloween spirit and let out your inner home decorator; we all know you want a real reason to spend 4 hours in Target.

2. Visit a pumpkin patch! Complete your Halloween decorating by picking out the best pumpkin and carving or painting it to add some extra flare. Take some cute pictures while you’re there too!

3. Make fall themed Halloween cookies! You don’t have to be a chef to enjoy those delicious Pillsbury pumpkin sugar cookies, the real stars of the holiday seasons. 

4. Eat some sausages and enjoy some beer in celebration of German culture at the Oktoberfest! Old town Rock Hill has its very own Oktoberfest celebration on Saturday October 20th! They even have a Weiner dog race that is just too adorable to miss out on.

5. As it gets a little colder, a super fun activity you can do with friends is cozy up next to a fire whether it’s a bonfire outside or a fireplace inside. Make it into a movie night or just enjoy hanging out with your friends around a blazing fire!

6. Going hand in hand with warming up over a fire is s’mores! This delicious treat is super easy to make and is a great with hot chocolate. Make it a nice night in with some sweets and a hot drink. 

7. If you prefer staying out of the cold, movie marathons are probably more your style. Tons of channels on TV air Halloween movies all through the month of October!

8. Take cute fall themed pictures! One of my favorite things about the fall are all of the beautiful colors that you see in the leaves. Grab some friends, a cute outfit and take some insta worthy photos!

9. Think back to those childhood memories and take a hayride! Many farms even have haunted hayrides at night just to add a little more fun to it. There are a few scattered farms in South Carolina and North Carolina that host this awesome activity. 

10. If hayrides just aren’t enough, most farms will have corn mazes you can get lost in and triumphantly find your way out of! Clinton Sease farms in Columbia, SC actually has a really awesome corn maze as well as other activities that you can enjoy after coming out of the maze.

11. Feel the spirit of the season and go to a haunted house and scare yourself into the fall feeling.

12. Bake fall harvest themed goodies! Fall harvest brings in pumpkins, pecans, apples, blackberries, butternut squash, cranberries and a whole lot more. Grab some of these in season ingredients to bake up a good pecan pie or roast some pumpkin seeds for a tasty treat.

13. A great, fun way to see what foods are in season is to take a trip to a local farmer’s market! You may snag some deals on fruits or vegetables that were farmed not too far from where you live. 

14. Go to an apple orchard and pick your own apples! A great place for apple picking nearby is at Windy Hill Farms not too far up the road in North Carolina! They also have ciders you can try for those over 21.

15. Try your hand at making caramel or candy apples! They’re not that hard to make and taste amazing.

16. It’s fair szn! Charlotte has their fair from October 12th through the 21st. Go out and enjoy some fair food and games!

17. Go to Boo at the Zoo! It’s such an underrated event that people often overlook is such a wholesome that is held at a number of zoos but personally it’s best held at the Riverbanks Zoo in Columbia, SC. 

18. Host a Halloween party! Get your friends together and get creative with spooky themed foods and fun costumes. Some easy Halloween themed ideas can be found on Pinterest.

19. DIY your Halloween costume or actually plan out and prepare your costume before the parties roll around. Last minute costumes are never that great and you miss out on those cool ones you really wanted to do when you had time.

20. Attend a fall festival! They are abundant this time a year and provide you with almost every autumn inspired thing you can think of. Nearby Tega Cay has a fall festival on the 20th and there’s also the Bush-N-Vine Fall Farm Fun located in York off of Highway 321 held throughout October on various dates. 

21. Decorate a haunted gingerbread house! The same way you’d get a gingerbread kit from the store for Christmas stores are selling the same thing but Halloween themed! If you love decorating but realize that throw pillows are $20 each decorating a $5 gingerbread house will do the trick.

22. It’s football season! Support your favorite team and tailgate or host a football watch party. Have a cook off to see who can bring the best chili or great tailgate appetizer! 

23. Visit a sunflower farm! These wonderful flowers are in bloom and are just a relaxing sight to see. Make your day a little brighter and visit a sunflower farm.

24. Take a minute to learn about Día de Los Muertos and maybe watch the Disney movie Coco! After all October is Hispanic Heritage month! 

25. Rake some leaves and jump in them! If you live in a dorm you could easily find a spot on campus or go to a nearby park and collect leaves to have fun in play in.

26. Go on a ghost tour! Winthrop usually hosts their own version of a ghost tour on campus so keep a lookout for that! 

27. Camp in the mountains! Get some fresh air and escape from school for a little by camping! The McDowell Nature Center and Preserve boasts many sites where you can tent camp as well as car camp.

28. Go hiking! The mountains are beautiful during this time with all the leaves changing colors and the cool air to keep you from sweating too hard! Any trail in the blue ridge mountains that we are lucky to have close by are great for seeing the foliage transform in to awesome colors of red, orange, and yellow. 

29. For those of you over 21 take a brewery tour and try the winter and fall brews or go wine tasting. There are many breweries that create seasonal specific brews that can bring on the taste of the season.

30. If touring breweries are boring to you sign up for a Halloween bar crawl! Charlotte has plenty of bar events to attend that are Halloween themed.

31. Lastly start Christmas shopping! As this season comes to a close get ahead on your shopping for the next season!

Now get out there Collegiettes, and fully enjoy this amazing season of fall! Just because it’s getting cold outside doesn’t mean you have to stay in! There are a multitude of things to do during these next few months and I hope I have inspired you to do some of these activities! You definitely don’t have to do all of these but consider doing a few and most importantly have fun this fall season!

Camila Rath

Winthrop '19

Camila Rath is a senior international business major at Winthrop University from Columbia, SC. She hopes to one day be able to travel overseas to work in business! When she isn't at the gym or hanging out with her Chi Omega sisters she is either studying or getting lost in the rabbit hole of youtube. She is an expert at binging Netflix shows, memes, and midday naps. HerCampus is a place where she loves to write fun articles that she would like to see published and to have fun!
Winthrop University is a small, liberal arts college in Rock Hill, SC.