nastuh abootalebi yWwob8kwOCk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
nastuh abootalebi yWwob8kwOCk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

21 Thoughts Every Hostess Has During Their Shift

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winthrop chapter.

Menus, mean costumers, and a million tasks. If you’ve ever worked in a restaurant as a hostess, you’ll be able to relate to every single one of these thoughts. So, this one goes out to all my fellow hostesses out there–this one is for you.

1. Before you even go in for your shift, you wonder, “How many times is a customer going to yell at me tonight?”

2. When you get to work, you think that it looks like it’s going to be a slow night.

3. 10 minutes later: Holy crap when did we get so busy?

4. 1 hour later: Why am I on a 2 hour wait?

5. 2 hours later: Why are people still waiting?

6. Why do people keep questioning where I seat them?

7. No, I don’t have any more tables open outside.

8. It’s probably going to be another 2 hours before I have tables open outside.

9. Stop asking me to sit outside.

10. I really wish I was in yoga pants and a t-shirt.

11. My feet hurt.

12. I’m tired.

13. I’m hungry.

14. This food smells so good.

15. When somebody walks in 2 minutes before you close and asks, “Are you still open?” and you’re forced to say yes, but really you want to shove them out the door and lock up and lock them out!

16. When servers ask you why they aren’t getting any tables: I’m sorry that customers question my every move and ask to sit somewhere else.

17.  I’m going to punch someone when a party of 30 walks in and expects to be seated right away, all together, will no reservation, at the same table.

18. When a customer comes up and complains to you about the food: I’m sorry, did you talk to your server about the problem?

19. Can you please stop yelling at me?! I’m doing the best I can!

20. When a customer tells you the toilet is broken: Sorry but I’m not a plumber.

21. When your boss tells you you’re doing a great job: THANK YOU! At least someone appreciates me.

Hang in there, and remember that your shift will be over soon!

Happy Hostess-ing, Collegiettes! 

Winthrop University is a small, liberal arts college in Rock Hill, SC.