16 Hot Fashion Trends For This Fall

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winthrop chapter.

As the summer comes to a close and the leaves begin to fall, the time to pack away your flowy sundresses and high wasted shorts begins to draw near. As sad as it is to say goodbye to your free and breezy articles, the return of cozy sweaters and chic boots makes up for the loss. With autumn swiftly approaching, it’s time to reevaluate our wardrobes and see what’s hot for the cooler season.

Stay on top of your fashion game and check out this list of trendy choices for fall 2015! 

1. The half-up half-down top knot 

I have to admit that this was a very hard trend for me to accept from the beginning, but sure enough it has grown on me. From personal experience, I’ve learned that it is best done with wavy or curled hair, rather than straight hair. It’s a great way to achieve that ever sought after carefree, messy look. 

2. Cropped Sweaters

Cropped sweaters, once most popular in the 1980s, have made a comeback! Thankfully, the shoulder pads were left behind, abandoning the once boxy look for one that is as soft as the sweater itself. 

3. Boyfriend Jeans

This is a particularly difficult look to pull off sometimes, but is so trendy when done well. I’m still looking for the perfect pair for my personal everyday wear. 

4. White Converse Shoes

This look exploded during the past summer and is maintaining its momentum into the fall. You can pair these kicks with almost anything to create a laid back, but still modish appearance. 

5. Bralettes

This is easily one of my favorite trends of the season. Bralettes are made to be shown with or through clothing and are super comfortable at the same time. Thin, white shirts are no longer a struggle with this secret weapon! 

6. Surplus and Bomber Jackets

Layering is key when dealing with the temperamental weather conditions of autumn, and these jackets are a great way to cheat the system. You can wear them to create a soft grunge look that is always popular in the fall. 

7. Blanket Scarves

One of the best parts about the season is that you can finally break out your massive scarf collection. One must-have this year is the blanket scarf. With this, it’s easy to be comfy, cozy and look chic all at once. 

8. Leather Leggings

Michael Jackson would be proud to see that leather is in fashion again. This time though, the fabric is stretchy and comfortable, rather than tight and pinching. Leather leggings will give you a little edge with any outfit. 

9. Lace-Up Wedges

Wedges are always popular in the warmer months and booties are popular in the cooler ones. Now, you can have both! These shoes have always be in style, but have boomed this year. This look is another one of my favorites because the shoes are comfortable and easy to walk in while still being super trendy. 

10. Chunky Sweaters

This trend will probably never go out of style because it is too comfortable for any of us to let it go. It’s perfect for when you are running late, or when you want to look cute and be cozy at the same time. 

11. Knee High / Thigh High Socks

No, this is not your typical school girl uniform, but instead is one of fall’s newest fashion editions. These are fun to pair with either tall or short boots, or a skater skirt. 

12. Denim Shirts

Denim shirts made a comeback a few years ago and have decided to stay for another year. I think it’s safe to say that we are glad to have them back too! Buttoned or unbuttoned, this is a great piece to add to your outfit to create either an urban or earthy look, depending on what you pair it with. 

13. Houndstooth Pattern

This classic pattern is trending on runways once again. My personal favorite way to utilize this look is in a nice pea coat or a fitted skirt. The key, though, is to not overdo it. Too much of a good thing can be very… unflattering. 

14. Wide Brimmed Hats

My hipster friends (who claim they are not hipsters, but totally are) scoffed at me for this one. We may be a little late in the game, but these hats have left the dimly lit coffee shop for the limelight and are showing up more and more as the weather begins to cool down. Be careful though because there is a fine line between looking edgy and being mistake for an Amish person. 

15. Fringe Bags

You can never go wrong with these super chic bags. I carry mine whether I’m going to class, shopping, or going out on the town. I absolutely adore this trend. 

16. Flannels

Flannels are the ultimate staple in any fall wardrobe. Shout out to the lumberjacks for bringing these to the table because I wouldn’t have half of my closet without them!

Happy fall, collegiettes! 

In a constant state of getting my life together.Winthrop ZTA.Glitter Enthusiast.Self-proclaimed big deal. 
Emily Murphy has been with Her Campus Media since 2018, and is currently the Branded Content Associate. She was the Campus Correspondent and Editor/President at her chapter at Winthrop University for four years, but has had a passion for all things writing since she was young. When she's not scribbling ideas down for her next branded article, she's watching reruns of Seinfeld while scrolling Pinterest for apartment inspo. Follow her on Instagram at @emilysmurfy