books on brown wooden shelf
books on brown wooden shelf
Susan Yin/Unsplash

12 Easy Ways to De-Stress this Finals Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winthrop chapter.

Ladies, we all need a break sometimes. Studying for finals can be seriously stressful, so here are a few easy ways to get your stress levels under control without taking too much of your study time up!

1. Watch some ASMR videos on YouTube

I know it sounds weird, but sometimes all you need is to watch someone blend paint colors together to get your stress levels under control. ASMR videos are made specifically to be soothing, so why not take advantage of them on your study break? Don’t knock it until you try it, ladies.

2. Finally finish that book you started six months ago

I am personally guilty of starting books and forgetting about them for months. Sometimes, a good book you forgot you had is the perfect remedy for a brain that’s been melted from too much studying. Give yourself a break and pick up that page-turner you never actually finished!

3. Take a nap

Now don’t get me wrong, I’m not talking about a four-hour-dead-to-the-world nap. We all feel like death when we wake up from a deep nap–but the last thing we want to be is awake, let alone productive. I’m talking a twenty-minute power nap that lets you step away from your studying without throwing your groove off. We all deserve a nap every now and again! Just don’t let it take over the rest of your day.

4. Do a little bit of cleaning

I know cleaning can be the worst sometimes, but a clean study space is a happy study space. Cleaning up your workspace, making your bed, taking out the trash, or even just hanging up your jacket can help you take a break from studying for finals while still feeling productive. And, let’s face it, you probably had some cleaning you needed to get done before break anyway.

5. Take a walk out on Scholars Walk

Fresh air helps you de-stress more than you’d think. Getting up and getting active can help you feel productive and refreshed, and you probably needed to stretch your legs after being hunched over a textbook for hours anyways.

6. Take some time to enjoy your hobby

We all have a hobby, whether it’s reading, drawing, knitting, dancing, exercising, or anything else that’s enjoyable. You’ve probably forgotten you have interests during finals week, so taking a couple of minutes to enjoy your hobby can be exactly what you needed to get you de-stressed and ready to take on your work.

7. Have a conversation with a friend

Chances are your BFF needs a study break too, so why not have a little chat? Having a conversation with a friend can help keep you sane while keeping your mind active enough to return to studying. It also gives your friend an excuse to take a much-needed break, so it’s pretty much a win-win for everyone.

8. Drink a cup of water

I know drinking a cup of water sounds simple, but it can help you wake up from hours of studying. Everyone needs to drink eight cups of water a day anyway, so why not use one of them as an excuse to let your mind rest?

9. Take a hot shower

Nothing is more relaxing than a nice hot shower. Self-care is something we all forget about during finals week, but taking a shower is the perfect remedy to de-stress and take care of your body. So, take a break from your three-day study binge, wash your hair, and go back to studying feeling rejuvenated and ready to learn!

10. Get a snack

Eating is still necessary, even if it is finals week and you don’t have enough time to eat three square meals a day. Taking a break to get a (healthy) snack can help you get the food you need without taking up too much of your precious study time.

11. Play with Snapchat filters

It’s okay to be honest: we all play with Snapchat filters without ever sending them. A great way to distract yourself from the stress of finals without getting too far from your work is to pull out your phone and turn your face into a piece of bread. Trust me, it works.

12. Read some Her Campus articles!

There’s nothing better than reading some great content from your fellow Collegiettes during exam week! Reading Her Campus articles is an easy and fun way to take a quick break before you get back to exams, especially if you needed a laugh to help you find yourself after studying for so long.

What’s your favorite way to keep your stress in check, ladies? Don’t forget to take care of yourself this finals season, and get back to studying so you can ace your exams!

Winthrop University is a small, liberal arts college in Rock Hill, SC.