10 Things Only Working College Students Understand

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winthrop chapter.

For all college students, there are tests and homework and naps and more tests and homework. However, for some unlucky few of us with jobs, we also have work thrown into the mix and into our already hectic schedules. So, here are 10 things you’ll only understand if you’re a working college student…just like me. Don’t worry, you aren’t alone.

1. Coming back to your dorm after you close

After working a seven hour shift with customers being really rude to you, the only thing you really want to do is sleep. Unfortunately, sometimes things get in the way of that.

2. …and realizing you still have homework to do.

Trying to complete my homework while cramped up in my bed is probably the least fun thing I’ve had to experience thus far in my college career…so I wouldn’t try it if I were you. Biology books really don’t make for very good pillows.

3. Coming back and trying not to wake up your roommate.

Living at home, you never really had to consider how your procrastination skills affected anyone else but yourself. Now, you’ve got another person to worry about when you’re up until 5 o’clock in the morning hammering on your keyboard about biodiversity. Luckily, most resident halls have areas where students are able to not disturb their roommate and can procrastinate all they want.

4. Waking up the next day after a long shift.

The day after a long shift when you have to get up for that 8 a.m. class is probably the worst feeling you will ever experience, especially if you add a hangover to that.

5. Rushing to work after your class gets out late.

Changing in bathrooms has become a second nature for us lady bosses when we only have a thirty minute gap in between our class and our shift. Small, enclosed bathroom stalls have become your second home at this point.

6. Making it just in time to clock in.

That feeling of adrenaline as you clock in exactly on time with zero seconds to spare. There’s no feeling like it!

7. Doing homework during your break.

Having piles of textbooks on textbooks scattered around you as you shove nuggets in to your mouth, trying not to get ketchup on that rental book that cost more than you make in a week, is not very fun. Plus having to deal with people coming up to you during your break when you’re obviously busy trying to complete that math quiz due in fifteen minutes is also not very fun. 

8. Asking off of work because you have class during that time, but still getting scheduled.

The realest struggle of any working college student is getting their availability right so that they have enough time to get from school to work.

9. Trying to balance school, work AND a social life.

Not only is trying to get your school work done and working 20+ hours a week hard, but add in having a social life to that and you’re basically dead. Staying out with your friends until 3 a.m. after work and then realizing that you have something due the next day is the worst feeling in the world.

10. Getting that paycheck every other week and realizing it’s all worth it.

Nothing makes you feel like an accomplished lady boss more than seeing your direct deposit going in every other week and realizing that you’re actually doing it. You’re adulting.

So kick butt, lady bosses! Don’t give up and keep being awesome! 

An avid dog video watcher and glasses wearer who enjoys Disney. You should definitely follow her on Instagram and Twitter @beccaliterally if you want quality selfies along with rare dog pictures.
Winthrop University is a small, liberal arts college in Rock Hill, SC.