10 Things Only Perpetually Sleepy People Will Understand

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winthrop chapter.

Spontaneous napping. Continous yawning. Lacking the physical ability to keep your eyes open. If you’ve experienced these symptons, you’re definitely one of us — the brave, sleepy souls who soldier on through sheer exhuastion, determined to make it to bedtime. We’ve reached that point in the semester where naps are sacred, “I’m so tired” is the automatic conversation starter and caffeine is literally essential to our existence — here are 10 things that you’ll understand if you’re perpetually sleepy. 

1. First things first, no amount of sleep can fix things.

“Tired” is as much a part of your identity as anything else. 2 hours of sleep? 10 hours of sleep? NOTHING HELPS.

2. Coffee is essential…

You don’t just want it. You need it. The Starbucks baristas are basically on a first-name basis with you, and your wallet weeps gently every time you fork over your card for a grande PSL.

3. …because without, you will fall asleep anywhere. 

Sitting still for extended periods of time and/or blinking too much will result in unplanned naps. 

4. ANYWHERE. 

The library. The park. The classroom. The ground. Nothing is sacred. 

5. All you can think about is when you can sleep next. 

Your bed is your palace. Your fluffy, welcoming, beautiful palace. 

6. You basically become a mathematician.

“If I fall asleep right now, I can sleep for three hours tonight!”

7. Your friends don’t trust you to stay awake for anything. 

Maybe they’re telling you the latest news about that cutie from their bio class, spilling some tea about their difficult roommate, or lamenting their massive load of homework — regardless, at any moment, you might just slump over. They know that if they something important to say, you have to be kept away from anything soft and/or horizontal in nature.

8. Your bed is your favorite hello…

Setting your alarm, taking off your pants, and flinging yourself into your bed is actually the best part of your day. 

9. …and your hardest goodbye. 

Your alarm goes off, and in that moment, you want to watch the world burn. 

10. But you keep on keeping on, because things will let up soon, right? Right?!

*guzzles coffee* *laughs nervously*

Winter break is slowly but surely coming along, collegiettes — don’t give up now!

Winthrop University is a small, liberal arts college in Rock Hill, SC.