This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winthrop chapter.

It’s almost time for high school seniors to start buying supplies for their future dorm room. I know when I was preparing for college I spent way too much money on things I only used once or twice.

Instead of buying random decorations “just because”, here are some supplies that will make your car ride and move in day a breeze. Cute room here we come!

1. Tapestry

A tapestry will cover so much wall space and is a great way to cover up those ugly tan walls. Instead of packing your car with photo frames and cork boards, a tapestry can easily be folded up and packed in your car. You can find tapestries all over the internet for super cheap prices too!

2. String Lights

No one ever turns on the over-head light in their dorm room, I know I don’t. And if we are being honest it just makes the atmosphere feel like a class room. Plus, its super cozy and so easy to hang.

3. Area Rug

An area rug is a great thing to have in your room to keep you feeling warm and cozy. No one enjoys stepping on cold tile or hard woods floors!

4. Wax Burners

If your college allows it; buy yourself a wax burner and also tons of scents to smell up your room!

5. Heated Blanket

A heated blanket is definitely a must have during those cold winter months. After walking from class to class all day, it’s nice to come back to your cozy bed and take an afternoon nap. And while you need a heated blanket, you will also need #6.

6. A desk fan

Although the room can be super cold, when the school decides to turn the heat on, a fan can be your best friend.

7. Pictures

It is so important to bring pictures to college. If you are ever feeling down you can just look back at all the memories you’ve made over the past years.

8. Closet Light

Okay so on the real, I’m not sure how I didn’t have one my freshman year. If you have classes before your roommate is awake, its super convenient to have a light in your closet so you don’t have to turn on your overhead light. Looking for clothes while using your phone flashlight just doesn’t cut it.

9. Desk Calendar

Having a desk calendar is a super easy way to see what you have for the upcoming days. You can add your papers, tests, events, or whatever you want!

10. Snacks

Last but not least, fill your room with snacks because you will definitely have those days where you don’t want to leave your room. However, wait until you have moved in and unpacked to get food and drinks. It’s also very convenient to have bins to keep all your food and drinks in.

So Collegiettes, get ready and get excited for your college adventure to begin.

These will be the best years of your life, and your room will be your home away from home so make it cozy and make it original! HCXO!

Winthrop University is a small, liberal arts college in Rock Hill, SC.