Zach Spanton: Artistic Genius and Avid Explorer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winona chapter.

You can often find Zach Spanton running from Phelps Hall, where he runs the executive board meetings for the PRSSA (Public Relations Student Society of America) club here on campus to Somsen Hall, where he assists in the marketing department, which by the way, is one of the biggest majors/minors here on campus, all the way to the Winona Bluffs. His killer sense of style while maintaining numerous roles around our campus is hard not to notice, and it sure caught our attention at Her Campus Winona.

Year: Junior

Major: Public Relations

Minor: Marketing

Hometown: Milbank, SD

HC (Her Campus): Zach, you are known around campus for your killer style! Were you aware of this? Where do you get your ideas/inspiration for your outfits?

ZS (Zach Spanton): I’ve had people I know compliment me on how I dress, but I’m surprised to hear I’m “known” for it around campus. I just like to dress nice and in a way that expresses myself a little. It makes me feel comfortable and self-confident. As far as inspiration for my outfits, there’s no one source that particularly stands out. Some days it’s just discovering new combinations of old clothes that lie and wait in my closet. I suppose I do take note of when an actor in a movie or show is wearing something that resonates with me and then I probably pick similar items out later. For example, Andrew Garfield wore some killer sweaters in The Amazing Spiderman 2. Target and H&M are my prime shopping spots. I have hopes and dreams to wear some stuff from Urban Outfitters, but it’s too spendy for me.

HC: Besides your great sense of style, what are your other passions in life?

ZS: I’m kind of all over the place with my passions and interests. In the past year, I’ve picked up an interest in tackling some photo/video projects, which has been fun and rewarding. I also really enjoy design, which I’ve been pursuing more recently, mostly with print work, but I’m hoping to branch out with some thought-provoking photo and digital art projects soon. Other than that, I’ve always loved playing guitar and writing, whether it be through songs, short stories or poems. It’s been primarily poems lately. I find I can bring life to my thoughts and opinions on certain topics that are hard to articulate otherwise through poetry. I also really enjoy getting outdoors when I can.

HC: You have a pretty impressive Instagram, what’s the secret to taking a great Instagram photo?

ZS: Thanks! Play around with different angles and incorporate other elements, like typography into photos. Also, try to capture specific moments and appreciate little details.

HC: If you could learn to play any instrument in the world, what would it be?

ZS: I’ve always wanted to be a master fiddler.

HC: Tell us about your favorite outdoor experience you’ve had thus far? (Any interesting hiking stories? Or scary outdoor experiences?)

ZS: My favorite outdoor experience was probably this last one in Colorado. We hiked an 8.5-mile trail to Mt Evans and the sights along the way were pretty breathtaking. It had a “Lord of the Rings” feel to it.

Scary experience: This summer I camped out in the Mississippi backwaters near Winona with a couple of friends, and we unknowingly intruded on a nearby beaver habitat. They kept us up all night by slapping their tails on the water and we googled a bunch of beaver attack horror stories. It was oddly frightening and apparently beavers can be some devious creatures.

Along with being an artistic genius, avid explorer and Instagram guru you can follow Zach’s blog here to check out all of his stellar work!

Hanna Leadstrom is a student at Winona State University studying mass communication with an emphasis in public relations and a minor in marketing. You can often find her working out, blogging, sipping on a cup of jo and day dreaming of travel. She enjoys the little things in life and is a firm believer in a "work hard, play hard" life motto.
Hannah Ingebrand is a Winona State University graduate with a Bachelor of Arts degree in Public Relations and a Psychology minor. Hannah is equal parts homebody and adventurer. She craves travel and her heart was left in Paris years ago. She is in love with love, handwritten letters and all. Hannah believes in making meaningful connections with people and embracing different cultures. Her obsession with Pinterest only fuels her love for polar bears, French bulldogs, and all things fashion.