Your Spring Break Packing List According To Destination

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winona chapter.

Whether you’re headed to the beach or the mountains, there’s always an excuse to pack all of the cute new garments purchased for your trip. I have compiled a brief packing list for each type of destination with a little help from my girl, Lauren Conrad. Style by Lauren Conrad includes a chapter dedicated to travel, and what to pack and what to leave home when venturing out on your vacay. With her advice, as well as some of my own, you will be sure to be plenty prepared for your vacation!

Before You Leave

Don’t forget your: ID, passport (if traveling internationally), credit/debit cards, backup cash, and charging cords.

You want to be sure that your credit and/or debit cards will work while you are abroad. Call your bank ahead of time to notify them of your trip, therefore they won’t cancel transactions that may seem sketchy and out of the norm. Also, be sure that your phone and/or tablet are fully charged and your ear buds are packed to keep you occupied during travel.

In-Flight Snacks

As long as it isn’t liquid, you can bring it! Snacks at the airport are expensive; save that extra money for drinks and souvenirs and bring your own! Granola bars make for a compact and nutritious snack. If absolutely necessary, grab a grande mocha at Starbucks for a pre-flight pick-me-up.

Airplane Apparel

A comfortable outfit to trek through the terminals is a must. Leggings. Are. Crucial. Pair them with a cute pair of sneakers that are easy to slip off at security, a basic tee, and a cardigan, and you are good to go. Helpful tip: wear a blanket scarf and this can double as a blanket on the chilly airplane ride. When you reach your destination, it can act as a sarong at the beach or something to snuggle in the mountains.

What To Pack If You’re Going To The Beach For One Week

Ex: San Diego, CA

Here is a list of essentials for seven days in the sand. If you are like me, I love options, therefore, I have included one (or five) too many outfits to choose from while you are away.

·      3-4 bathing suits

·      2-3 daytime dresses, 1 bring a maxi, for sure.

·      2-3 night time dresses

·      2-3 rompers (what I live in during the summer, these double as swimsuit cover-ups)

·      2 skirts (1 maxi, 1 mini)

·      3 pairs of shorts

·      3 basic tees

·      3 basic tanks

·      1-2 light cardigans, these work great for suit cover-ups, but also at night when it gets a little chillier

·      1 kimono shawl

·      1 pair flip flops

·      1 pair everyday sandals

·      1 pair going out sandals/wedges

·      1 clutch for evening

·      1 crossbody purse

·      Sunglasses

·      Jewelry (minimalistic for day; colorful, statement necklaces for night)

·      Sunscreen/tanning lotion (Aloe, in case of those sunburns!)

·      Lip moisturizer

·      Body & face lotion

·      Baseball or wide-brimmed hat

What To Pack If You’re Going To The City For One Week

Ex: New York City, NY

If you’re venturing to a metropolitan region for Spring Break, the key to outfit planning is layers. Depending on the activity, you may get warm or chilly easily, so dressing in layers is key. I have included many pieces that can be layered for your excursions!

·      3 pairs of jeans

·      3 basic tees

·      3 basic tanks

·      3-4 evening tops

·      3 sweaters or cardigans

·      2-3 coats/blazers

·      2 dresses

·      2 pair booties (1 flat, 1 heel)

·      1 pair comfy flats

·      Jewelry

·      2 scarves

·      1 crossbody purse

What To Pack If You’re Going To The Mountains For One Week

Ex: Denver, CO

This list is for if you are exploring somewhere cold, similar to MN during March. Layers are necessary for going in and out of coffee shops, boutiques, or chalets.

·      3 pairs of jeans

·      3 pairs of leggings

·      2-3 long sleeve tops (1 thermal)

·      3 basic tees

·      3-4 sweaters or cardigans

·      1 down or fleece vest

·      1 warm, insulated jacket

·      1 warm evening jacket (leather, for example)

·      1 fur vest

·      1 pair tall riding boots

·      1 pair warm winter boots (ex: Sorel or UGG)

·      2 pair booties (1 flat, 1 heel)

·      2-3 scarves (blanket, knitted, anything warm)

·      1 warm hat

·      1 pair gloves or mittens

·      1 crossbody purse

·      Jewelry

·      Sunglasses (the bright snow can take a toll on your eyes)

·      Lip moisturizer

·      Body & face lotion

There you have it! Whether you are going somewhere warm or chilly, be sure to pack enough to be prepared, but not too much where you can’t zip up your suitcase! Here are a few last tips for traveling. Be safe, but have so much fun!

·      If you are flying, be sure to research the baggage regulations of your airline so you aren’t forced to leave behind your favorite garment or purchase extra luggage

·      Check the forecast of your destination the day before you leave to be sure to prepare for any surprise weather (maybe you’ll need to add a rain jacket)

·      Don’t forget your PJ’s, undergarments, and necessary toiletries

*all photos courtesy of Pinterest*

Haley Anderson graduated from Winona State University with a degree in mass communication: public relations and a minor in marketing. Haley is a firm believer that a shopping trip at Target, a peppermint mocha, and a quick stop at Chipotle can solve all of her problems. She enjoys traveling, jamming out to the newest hits on the radio with friends, trying out happy hours at local bars and restaurants, and pinning outfit ideas and dream travel destinations on Pinterest.
Hannah Ingebrand is a Winona State University graduate with a Bachelor of Arts degree in Public Relations and a Psychology minor. Hannah is equal parts homebody and adventurer. She craves travel and her heart was left in Paris years ago. She is in love with love, handwritten letters and all. Hannah believes in making meaningful connections with people and embracing different cultures. Her obsession with Pinterest only fuels her love for polar bears, French bulldogs, and all things fashion.