yulia chinato fWTwGRXQzI8 unsplash
yulia chinato fWTwGRXQzI8 unsplash
Style

Your Guide to a Transitional Wardrobe

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winona chapter.

Disclaimer: Although most of these images and tips are centered around feminine wear, anyone can wear them and style them as they please!

Fall is here, and that usually means it’s time to put away the beloved tube tops and bust out the layers. BUT, it doesn’t have to be that way. Here are my top 5 tips on how to use your summer clothes and integrate them in your winter wardrobe.

Number One: Tights, tights, tights! This is one of my favorite ways to stay warm AND fashionable. You can pair them with your favorite mini skirt, dress, or shorts. They come in tons of colors and patterns and there are even thicker, knitted tights for those below zero days. OR you could even double up and wear 2 pairs. Tights are also amazing because they are relatively cheap and can be used over and over again (if you take good care of them).

Number Two: Long sleeves and turtlenecks. Some people may think that turtlenecks are out of style, but those people are WRONG. Throw on your best overalls/sundress/romper, etc. over (or under) a cozy long sleeve and bam! You’ve created a warm and cute AF masterpiece.

Number Three: Boots and tall socks. Don’t fret; you can still rock that mini dress or oversized sweater when the air freezes your runny nose to your face. Find a pair of boots (thigh-high is recommended, but in no way required), pair them with a classic pair of tall socks, and you have an almost full coverage ensemble. If you’re still feeling chilled, use those tights!

Number Four: Scarves. Scarves are not only adorable, but they are so damn efficient when it’s windy and cold. I don’t wear scarves often, but in my winter experience—the bigger, the better. Your low cut top that you just can’t quite bear to put in the back of your closet can quickly become a staple in your fall weather wardrobe. With a large scarf, you can either do a classic wrap around the neck, or you can also put it over your shoulders as a shawl. Bonus points if you pair it with a cute belt to tie it all together! This tip is hard to explain in words, so here is a video that can show you.

Number Five: Don’t put away your crop tops just yet. This tip is one of my absolute favorites because it’s so versatile. Crop tops go perfectly with cardigans, jackets, flannels, or really any layer you can think of. They work especially well in the cold if your bottoms are high-waisted, which gives you a little extra coverage.

Bonus tip: if you’re on a budget, don’t worry. So many local thrift stores have tons of cute and affordable options! Check them out!

Alright ladies, we’re finished with my favorite tips. But, there are lots more out there, so go ahead and experiment! The most important thing to remember is to wear your clothes with confidence. No matter what you look like or what you wear, you should always rock it.

Source 1

Source 2

Source 3  

Source 4

Source 5 (Pandora Sykes)

Source 6

Source 7  

Source 8

Source 9

Source 10

Bryn is a freshman at Winona State, with an undecided major. She is a fan of wildlife, watercolor painting, documentaries, activism, word finds, and the oxford comma. You can contact her via email or ouija board.
| 2018-20 Club President/Campus Correspondent | Hailey Seipel is a senior at Winona State University who is studying Applied & Professional Writing and Journalism. She has been passionate about writing ever since she was little, and a dream of hers is to author poetry, sci-fi and romance novels. Until then, she is interested in working as a creative/blog writer, technical editor or project coordinator after graduating. In her free time, Hailey enjoys listening to music and reading leisurely.