This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winona chapter.

We were recently able to get ahold of our very own WSU Squirrel and although communication between us was a little hard to manage he had lots to say. We got the scoop on when and why he started squirreling around on Twitter, his influence on other campus squirrels as a whole, and a little something that he wants us to know about the WSU squirrels!He told us that when it was time for him to leave his parents nest in 2012, it was hard but when he got to Winona he noticed the abundance of squirrels here and well, he was pretty happy he chose Winona as his new home. Being that there were already so many squirrels on campus he told us that he decided to become the face of the WSU squirrels when he noticed that there was no one willing to stand up and speak for them.

After his WSU Squirrel Twitter launch, he told us that if we pay attention we may notice a sort of “Squirrel Movement” taking place because, “There have been quite a few squirrels from other campuses that haven chosen to put themselves in the spotlight after I did.” There is currently a UMN Squirrel, LAX Squirrel, and Kato Squirrel as well.

“It feels good to know I have been a positive influence on my fellow squirrels.”–WSU Squirrel

He wants us all to know, “Even though nuts and acorns are always associated with us squirrels, you should not automatically assume that’s all we enjoy. I LOVE PIZZA. Also, many people have written to me telling me how I always scare them and chase them around, and this saddens me. I want those people to know I am a gentle little guy and would never hurt them…unless they throw things at me.”

Although we had to keep our fuzzy little friend anonymous, there are a few of you that know him personally! We hope that when he decides its time for part from Winona State there is another squirrel willing to take his place in keeping the study body informed. The relationship between the community and these little guys is a fun one so keep on the lookout for our fuzzy little Winona friends, and remember to leave them a snack or two on campus and follow him twitter @WSUSquirrel.

Meet Our Writer: Sarah Elizabeth Nyberg! Three words to describe Sarah are positive, independent and caring. She is an extreme lover of all things pink, pizza, and Desperate Housewives. She lives for warm sunny days, a good nap and a glass of wine (or five). When she is not dreaming about the future or catching up on the latest music from her favorite artists you can catch her sparking up conversation with the customers at ZaZa’s. She thoroughly enjoys a good laugh and mostly time spent with the ones she loves!
Miranda is currently a Winona State University senior studying mass communication with an emphasis in advertising and is also pursing a graphic design degree. In addition to being Winona State’s Campus Correspondent, she is also the president of WSU’s Advertising Federation club. When she’s not busy binge watching One Tree Hill for the umpteenth time, you can find her working on her longboards, which she creates from scratch. She is a Diet Coke addict and indie music enthusiast filled with passion and imagination. She plans to get out of chilly Minnesota to find internship opportunities after graduation.