WSU MEDLIFE With Sam Finberg

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winona chapter.

Imagine entering a small, poorly lit room where a dentist sits working on the teeth of a small Peruvian child. The dentist says that she cannot see, so you and your fellow club members all take out your phones and illuminate the space allowing the dentist to see and perform the dental procedures the child so desperately needs.  Experiencing that moment in Lima, Peru last winter was the instant WSU senior, Sam Finberg, knew that she wanted to help people for a living.

Sam is the co-founder and co-president of Winona State’s MEDLIFE club. MEDLIFE, which stands for “Medicine, Education and Development to Low Income Families Everywhere,” is an international organization dedicated to helping people achieve freedom from poverty and giving them the tools and education necessary to live healthier lives. Winona State University has its very own MEDLIFE chapter on campus and they are on their way to making even more positive changes in the world during their second year as a club. Over winter break, members of the club will be making their way to the jungles of Tena, Ecuador to help people in need.

In the spring of 2014, Sam Finberg and Tanya Omar decided that they wanted to travel and perform service work. When they first learned about the unique opportunities that MEDLIFE provides, they decided that they wanted to start their own chapter at WSU. Their very first meeting was a huge success, with more than 100 people in attendance. The group knew that they wanted to go on a trip to Lima, Peru; however, there were many loops to jump through. Everywhere they turned people said, “just wait until next year,” but the group was adamant. Within six months as a club, with the help of their members and their advisor, Dr. John Nosek, MEDLIFE became the first club on campus to send students on an international trip. While in Lima, the team got to work side by side with doctors, dentists, pharmacists, and educators at mobile clinics. Sam said that it was truly a hands-on and eye opening experience teaching people about basic health care, raising their families, and simply how to do better.

2014-15 WSU MEDLIFE executive board with MEDLIFE founder and CEO, Tom Ellis at the MEDLIFE Inter-Chapter Conference Competition in Montreal, Canada last spring.

While setting up and working at the mobile clinic in Peru, one of Sam’s favorite memories was working at the toothbrush station. Children would line up to brush their teeth or get their teeth brushed if they were too young to do it themselves. The children were so ecstatic about such a simple task and even happier to learn that they got to keep their very own toothbrush. As a pre-dental student hoping to do pro-bono dental work around the world someday, Sam found this experience so heartwarming and inspiring.

WSU MEDLIFE students in Lima, Peru during their trip last winter.

Sam and 22 other MEDLIFE club members along with Dr. John Nosek and his wife, Dr. Cathy, are excited to get to visit Ecuador over winter break. The club looks forward to helping those in need, experiencing the culture, creating lasting memories, and truly working to make a difference while on their trip. WSU MEDLIFE club focuses on more than just mission-based trips; they provide countless volunteer opportunities to their 150+ members, as well. Sam said, “Many students don’t know how to get involved and our club is giving them the opportunity to do so.” MEDLIFE is for everyone, regardless if you are in a medical major or not. If you have a passion for helping people and having fun, Sam encourages you to join MEDLIFE. There are no requirements to be a member, but it is up to you to make something out of the opportunities.

For more information about WSU MEDLIFE club and to follow their journey to Ecuador, visit their Facebook page. Good luck on your trip WSU MEDLIFE, we cannot wait to hear all about it!  

Hannah Ingebrand is a Winona State University graduate with a Bachelor of Arts degree in Public Relations and a Psychology minor. Hannah is equal parts homebody and adventurer. She craves travel and her heart was left in Paris years ago. She is in love with love, handwritten letters and all. Hannah believes in making meaningful connections with people and embracing different cultures. Her obsession with Pinterest only fuels her love for polar bears, French bulldogs, and all things fashion.