Winona State’s Very Own “Oh What a Lovely War”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winona chapter.

This week I had the chance to talk with two girls who are a part of Winona State University’s Theatre and Dance Department. They filled me in on the awesome play coming up! This is the last production of the 2016-2017 season.

“Oh, What a Lovely War” is taking place April 5-8th. Doors open at 7 p.m. and the show starts at 7:30 p.m. in the Vivian Fusillo Theatre.

Her Campus Winona: First things first, what is this play about?

“Oh, What A Lovely War,” written by Joan Littlewood, is a comedic anti-war play that contains musical pieces and follows the events of the war and stories from soldiers fighting in it.

HC: What is the setting?

The setting takes place during WWI within the various European countries involved. Yet, the second act takes place almost entirely in France since that’s where most of the battles were held.

HC: What is unique about this play compared to other productions Winona State has put on?

This play is unique because unlike many other plays, this play is full of songs. However, the play can be often mistaken as a musical, which it is not. The play incorporates a unique blend of multiple accents along with the performance of lines/songs in other languages, so it’s sure to keep the audience on the edge of their seats.

HC: How many students are involved in this production?

There are about 17 cast members and 15 crew members.

HC: How much will tickets cost?

Tickets will be $6 for students with a student ID and $12 for the general public.

You won’t want to miss out on this spring play. You can get your tickets at www.WSU ArtsTickets.com or at the box office located in the Performing Arts Center.

Hi I'm Maddie!! I'm a Public Health major at Winona State.
Meet our Campus Correspondent Mariah Mrotek! Originally from Racine, Mariah is a Mass Communication Advertising major with a Professional Writing Minor. You can usually catch Mariah loving up the cats at the local Winona Area Humane Society or getting her last minute shopping fix at Target. She is an avid writer and believer in the power of intuition. As an advocate for the Minnesota Epilepsy Foundation, she strives for change. She really enjoys the fall season and the amazing honeycrisp apples it brings. Her ideal place to vacation at is a cabin up north by the lake. Mariah hopes to continue to see and enjoy the world’s beauty after graduation as she pursues a career in Social Media Content Management or Project Management.