Wine & Canvas: Fun or Flop?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winona chapter.

I have always been a lover of painting. It is one of the few activities that completely relieves my stress. Being able to sit down with my favorite music playing as I only focus on the painting is so calming.

Because of this, I have always wondered if I would enjoy Wine & Canvas. Wine & Canvas is an activity you pay for ($35) to go and drink some wine while an instructor leads you through a painting. These are two things I enjoy: painting and wine. So what could go wrong?

Well, it turns out that W&C is the opposite of relaxing. The class goes so quickly that there is no time for relaxation as you are trying to keep up with the instructor. You only get so much time for each step before they move on to the next one. This constantly made me feel rushed and that I couldn’t take my time to do everything the way I wanted to.

(This is how fast I felt like I was painting)

(Even if I had that much wine, I wouldn’t be relaxed)

It’s understandable that a painting takes time, so they have to speed up the process to get done in a timely manner. I get that. Also, the painting did actually turn out pretty good.

I just feel like this experience would be a lot more enjoyable if I was able to go at my own pace, which I understand is not the structure of the class.

I think this will be the first and last Wine & Canvas experience for me. I would recommend this class to people who are interested in just getting a nice painting out of it and don’t mind the process. Another thing to consider is the price. $35 is a little pricey for a paintingplus the wine was not included in the price where I went. If you have two glasses of wine, your total could come out to over $50. This doesn’t seem worth it to me. From now on, I am going to stick to painting by myself in my room.

Lauren Lott

Winona '19

Meet Lauren Lott, she is a writer for Winona State Her Campus. Lauren is an English Literature major with a minor in Public Relations. In her free time, she enjoys reading, working out, hanging out with friends, watching an excessive amount of youtube videos, and drinking coffee.
| 2018-20 Club President/Campus Correspondent | Hailey Seipel is a senior at Winona State University who is studying Applied & Professional Writing and Journalism. She has been passionate about writing ever since she was little, and a dream of hers is to author poetry, sci-fi and romance novels. Until then, she is interested in working as a creative/blog writer, technical editor or project coordinator after graduating. In her free time, Hailey enjoys listening to music and reading leisurely.