This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winona chapter.

Thanksgiving is a holiday that has roots in our underlying history. It is a story of cooperation with those different than us. Most stories of Thanksgiving history start with the harvest celebration of the pilgrims and the Native Americans that took place in the autumn of 1621. Although they did have a three-day feast in celebration of a good harvest, it wasn’t exactly the root of what we now call the modern Thanksgiving. It wasn’t until 1863 when President Lincoln proclaimed Thanksgiving a national holiday. 

Starting out, Thanksgiving is a time to stuff your face with all the delicacies that your grandma only makes once a year.

It is a holiday dedicated to eating food among other things. There’s the turkey, stuffing (which I’m personally not a fan of), and a family favorite, cheesy hash browns. One of my favorite things that I don’t necessarily make but we get for the holidays is Costco’s pumpkin cheesecake. It is everything I love about dessert packed into one treat. So, if gorging yourself on way too much food is your thing, I know you won’t forget about Thanksgiving.

Thanksgiving is a chance to reconnect with family members who you don’t often see. I know many people like myself are notoriously terrible about keeping in touch with family. Holidays like Thanksgiving give me and others a chance to catch up with our loved ones. It is one of the only times when I can interact with my younger cousins and grill them about what’s going on in their lives. I always look forward to listening to my grandma and sister gabbing about anything under the sun. 

Thanksgiving is one of the only holidays that isn’t centered around giving gifts. There’s nothing wrong with exchanging and delighting in getting presents, but Thanksgiving gives us the chance to celebrate what we have already without the pressure that comes with holiday gift-giving. All you need to bring is yourself and hopefully some roomy pants.

Thanksgiving is a great time to dedicate your time to charity. There are many different organizations that need extra help around the holiday season. You can do your part at a food bank, soup kitchen or just make a donation to your local church organization. One of the simplest things that you can do to help is donate your time for a cause that is dear to your heart. It helps remind us how fortunate we are to be able to celebrate with our families.

You’re surrounded by your family and all the people who you’re thankful for. This holiday reminds us that even when we feel alone, there is a whole family that is willing and able to support us back home. For some people in college, Thanksgiving is the first time they’re seeing their families in months, which makes the occasion that much more special. 

I hope everyone can now remember that Thanksgiving is just as important a holiday as Christmas. Eat up, Warriors!

Cover

GIFs provided by Giphy.com

Hi, I'm Isabella. I'm an aspiring writer and an avid reader. I'm most at home reading a new book with my dogs by my side. I'm just starting out at Winona this year as a Senior and it's already turning out to be a good year.
My name is Hannah Hippensteel, and I like to say I'm a Chicago city-slicker, but I'm actually from the 'burbs. I'm currently a senior at Winona State with a major in mass communication-journalism and a minor in sociology. Catch me enjoying all Winona has to offer: the bluffs, the incomparable Bloedow's Bakery, and not to mention, Minnesota boys. With a goal of working at Teen Vogue, Seventeen or Glamour magazine, I'm soaking up every opportunity to keep my finger on the pulse and share my personal voice!