Why I Loved “Love, Simon”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winona chapter.

“My name’s Simon and I’m just like you, except I have one huge-ass secret. Nobody knows I’m gay. Sometimes I feel like I’m stuck on a ferris wheel. One minute I’m on top of the world, then the next I’m at rock-bottom. I’ve been thinking about why I haven’t come out yet. Maybe part of me wants to hold onto who I’ve always been, just a little longer. No matter what, who you are to the world is pretty terrifying because what if the world doesn’t like you?”

Whether it be in high school, college, or even later in life, coming out is not a cakewalk. There are various things that one needs to consider:

Will I be supported by my family and peers?

Will I be bullied or discriminated against?

Will I be able to get married?

Love, Simon did a fantastic job of addressing many of the issues that queer teens face in modern times such as getting outed by peers and having little to no representation in the media. In a particular scene, Simon asks why straight is the default not only for media, but also as the assumed sexuality for people. This poses the question of whether or not it’s fair to assume somebody’s sexuality. However, assumed sexualities are the reason people need to come out. Regardless of whether queer teens choose to come out, it is important to destroy the negative stigma behind it.

photo

Hi I'm Emily and I'm from Appleton, Wisconsin! I'm a Mass Communication- Advertising student, with a minor in Art History at WSU. I like concerts, hockey, cooking, and dancing in the car. I also enjoy guacamole, french fries, and caramel iced coffees from Dunkin' Donuts. All I really want to do is travel the world, move to a big city, and spend my weekends on a lake. IG & Twitter @esheptoski