What Was Popular Last Leap Year?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winona chapter.

With this year being another Leap Year, I thought it would be enjoyable to look back at 2012 and see what was popular the last time we had a 29th day in February.

Music

At this time 4 years ago we were jamming to:

Dance (A$$) – Big Sean feat. Nicki Minaj

Set Fire To The Rain – Adele

Rack City – Tyga

We Are Young – FUN feat. Janelle Monae

Movies

In February of 2012 we were:

Trying to get over the fact that Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows Pt. 2 had debuted in theaters in November, 2011 and there would be no more. Our childhood had officially ended.

The Hunger Games was set to release in one month, March 25th, 2012. Jennifer Lawrence hadn’t even made her footprint in Hollywood yet!

One saving grace was that we were all excited for the premiere of The Avengers franchise which would release in May of 2012. 

Super Bowl XLVI

The Patriots lost their 2nd Super Bowl to Eli Manning and the New York Giants. Final Score: NYG: 21 NE:17 

TV Shows

The Television world was ruled by blue meth and zombies at this point in time. Breaking Bad and The Walking Dead had just begun to take off and viewers everywhere were obsessed. It is also important to note that the first season of Game of Thrones had premiered and everyone was waiting for Season 2. The “Red Wedding” hadn’t happened yet!

Adam Bartusek is a Senior double majoring in Communication Studies and Recreation Tourism with a Minor in Coaching. On weekends you can either find him on the ice/open water fishing, shooting hoops, golfing, watching sports on TV, or having a few cold ones with some friends. He is a firm believer in quotes and that if you don’t like reading, you just haven’t found the right book yet. As of now he is currently working on finishing a series of four books he hopes to publish! Be sure to check out his Outdoor Media Company Team Yukon Outdoors as well.
Meet our writer Courtney D. Jones! Courtney is a junior at Winona State University majoring in Mass Communications- Advertising. She is consistently busy juggling school, working two jobs, and on the recruitment committee for Sigma Sigma Sigma sorority, so coffee is a necessity. But not just any coffee, it must be Starbucks Blonde Roast, with a dash of peppermint mocha creamer and a fourth of a packet of sugar. She has a die-hard love for all things beauty and fashion, and dreams of owning everything on her Pinterest boards one day. With her bright and bubbly personality, she loves meeting new people and sharing a good laugh. As a Chicago native, her happy place consists of drinking a cold microbrew with her favorite Giordano’s deep-dish pizza while watching her beloved Bears team.