medical supplies
medical supplies
Original Illustration by Gina Escandon for Her Campus Media

What to Look Forward to in Quarantine: 6 Activities to Keep You Busy

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winona chapter.

During the spring, I usually like writing articles on what a person can look forward to. Due to the current coronavirus pandemic, many activities—namely social—have become limited. 

For the time being, you can’t go to $5 Tuesdays at your local movie theater or sit and dine at your favorite restaurants. It sucks, especially if you’re an outgoing person like me and you dislike being cooped up in the house all day. 

I am writing this on Friday, March 27, and the state of Minnesota officially goes into quarantine lockdown at midnight.

For this article, I want to highlight that while isolation absolutely sucks, there are a few things you can do to be productive—and no, I’m not just talking about movie-surfing on Netflix and watching Tik Toks. These activities can keep you busy not only during quarantine, but also after and beyond.

1. Make a to-do list

blank notebook with pencil
Tirachard Kumtanom

A to-do list was the first thing I saw some of my friends doing. For me, I was able to put things on the list I’ve pushed aside for months, such as blog posts, writing times, and books I’ve never read or opened.

2. Do homework

Tamara Bellis
Tamara Bellis / Unsplash
Online classes at Winona State University start on March 30, but I scheduled two hours per day for homework. That’s it—just two hours—and at home I am able to get so much more done! Usually homework takes me four to six hours. It’s insane.

3. Get up early, but still have a good rest

girl sleeping in black and white
Kinga Cichewicz
I usually sleep until (at least) noon while on break, but during the school year, I am up by 8 a.m. This past week, I began homework early and started waking up by 9:30 a.m. So, not the crack of dawn, but a good compromise.

4. Work out

Summer Girl Hawaii Yoga Hiking Exercise View
Tessa Pesicka / Her Campus

People would be surprised at the good this whole quarantine sitch is bringing about. 

Personally, I have found multiple free online dance classes. The experience is different, of course, because it’s in my living room, so there’s less space to move, but it’s FREE! I previously took a dance class with Brian Friedman, who I wrote an entire article about last year, and I can’t wait to go back to the local studio when the fitness places open again.

But until then, everyone can still go outside for a jog or bike ride. You can still get fresh air while maintaining a distance of six feet from others… I went for a walk the other day, and the hardest thing was passing dogs I could no longer ask to pet. 

5. Do some arts and crafts

Rainbow pressed powder eye shadow make-up palette
Sharon McCutcheon
I am personally using all my newfound free-time to go back and update my photography portfolio, but this activity can be different for everyone! You can start embroidering or finishing a painting you never got through.

I’ve seen an online group chat post about scrapbooking and a girl on Facebook make letters and bracelets to send to others.

Small businesses are practically shut down right now, so this is the most important time to support every single one of them! The smallest thing, such as promoting their work, can mean a lot.

6. Read or write (or both!)

Person holding book open
João Silas

I went to the first meeting of Winona State’s English Club right before spring break. I haven’t heard any updates, but we were assigned to read the book called Circe. I have all the time to read it now and take as many notes as I want.

The other day, my dad also texted me to write a book. Writing a book is a very long process, but now I have more time to plan it out and emphasize how I really want it to be. I was going to update “The List” originally, but before I posted more chapters, there were things I wanted to go back on and possibly change. Now I can.

And that’s what I love about writing: it’s messy.

So, maybe this gave you a few ideas of what you can do over break. It’s nothing old-fashioned. There’s still the Internet, and everything you’re doing can be shared. Facetime a friend or listen to a podcast. There are still things to do, even if it’s as simple as looking at spring from the inside of your quarantined house.

Woman wearing purple lipstick
Photo by Eye for Ebony on Unsplash

Take care of yourself, wash your hands and stay at home! The world is in the same situation as you.

Natalie Elle Tyler is a senior at Winona State majoring in Creative Digital Media. She is minoring in Dance, Creative Writing, and Journalism. Natalie manages her own photography business. When she isn’t writing, she’s either doing a photoshoot, hanging out with friends, or dancing. Her ultimate dream is to make book covers through her photography while having the time to be a freelance travel photographer or photojournalist.
| 2018-20 Club President/Campus Correspondent | Hailey Seipel is a senior at Winona State University who is studying Applied & Professional Writing and Journalism. She has been passionate about writing ever since she was little, and a dream of hers is to author poetry, sci-fi and romance novels. Until then, she is interested in working as a creative/blog writer, technical editor or project coordinator after graduating. In her free time, Hailey enjoys listening to music and reading leisurely.