What if the Saying “Opposites Attract” Isn’t Entirely Wrong?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winona chapter.

January 25th is Opposite Day and what better way to celebrate than to have a discussion about relationships? I can’t speak for my readers, but I know that the phrase “opposites attract” has followed me around for years. I think about this idea all the time, and in my opinion, it is important to have this conversation. 

Each person on this planet is different, but there are qualities that overlap and intertwine. One article I read stated, “people tend to be attracted to those who are similar to themselves, as dozens of studies have shown.” Now, I don’t fully disagree with this statement, but I do think it is flawed. For example, it is true that I click quickly with other English majors, but some of my closest friends are in the sciences. These people see the world differently and have different views than I do, and sometimes it feels like a breath of fresh air. 

I have learned a lot from my friends that are English majors, but I feel like I have learned the most from those outside of my comfort zone. It is interesting to watch them speak about their greatest passions that differ so much from my own. I have had conversations about science and history that I never would have had within my major. 

I am deep into my English degree, so I don’t get much new exposure anymore. However, my poetry professor tends to spit out what seems like therapy notes in class and last week was no different. While reflecting on a student’s work, he brought up the idea of opposites. He said something along the lines of, “If you are with someone that is the same as you, there is no surprise, and there is no variety,” and I think that is so true. 

Now, I am not saying that you should go across campus and make a new best friend in the math department but I do think that we as people should be less afraid of those that are different than us. Within those differences, there are so many similarities that can be found. When looking at someone you might initially think there could be nothing in common but believe me, there are! These common traits, although they might only add up to your mutual love for Spider-Man and Toaster Strudels, are still two things that can bond you. 

Being close with someone that differs greatly from you might not be the easiest thing in the world, but I can promise that you will learn more about yourself and the world this way.

My name is Emily Venné and I am a junior at Winona State University. I am double majoring in Literature and Language and also Writing Option. When my nose isn't buried in a book, I am either writing, hanging out with friends, or binge-watching my favorite tv shows. I dream of one day working in either publishing or editing, and maybe even writing a book of my own. <3