This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winona chapter.

I am an inherently musically gravitated person— I always have been, and I hope that I always will be. I grew up in a household where music was our uniting factor. Miles Davis, Paul McCartney, Jimi Hendrix, Beethoven, Jerry Garcia, Lily Allen, Gwen Stefani, Janis Joplin— my parents’ go-to’s. These people wrote the songs that lulled me to sleep as an infant, that got me dancing as a toddler, and ultimately formed my taste in music today. Recently, I have been really fond of making playlists that include a variety of genres. Generally, I will listen to any music. Whether or not I will like what I listen to is a different question, but I try to push myself nonetheless. Here is a playlist of songs that I’ve seemed to listen to almost daily for the past couple of months (in no particular order other than that of the shuffle on my playlist). 

1. “Chateau (Feel Alright)” by Djo

“Steve” from Stranger Things, a.k.a Joe Keery sings this psychedelic rock tune. 

1. “I Think I Like When It Rains” by WILLIS

I found WILLIS this summer––it’s a perfect “driving around in the rain” song. 

1. “Woods” by Mac Miller

Circles by Mac Miller may be my favorite album lately, and Woods has a really good feel to it.

1. “She” by Harry Styles

Mr. Styles shows more of his rockstar sound in this heavier song (reminds me of some Pink Floyd sounds). 

1. “Paparazzi” by Lady Gaga

It may be so 2008, but this is a classic 2000s hit. Gaga always gets it right. 

1. “Ultralight Beam” by Kanye West

I don’t usually like Kanye, (or “Ye” I guess now…) but this track is kinda cool. 

1. “Baby’s Got Sauce” by G. Love & Special Sauce

My dad used to sing this for me when I was little whenever he cooked us spaghetti. 

1. “Pink + White” by Frank Ocean

If you want a song that’s chill, but also very unique, Frank Ocean’s got you. 

1. “All Along” by Still Woozy

Still Woozy is one of my all-time favorites: all his music is awesome. Stream his new album, If This Isn’t Nice, I Don’t Know What Is!

1. “Dunno” by Mac Miller

Another laid-back Mac track. The lyrics get me feelin’ some type of way. 

1. “Ladders” by Mac Miller

I’m a huge instrumental nerd, and the horn parts in here are five-star. 

1. “Objects in the Mirror” by Mac Miller

Nobody’s doin’ like Mac did. His lyrics are unmatched. R.I.P. 

1. “Nothin’ on You” by Bruno Mars and B.O.B

My favorite lyrics: “Baby, you da whole package, plus you pay your taxes.”

1. “While My Guitar Gently Weeps” by The Beatles

One of The Beatles’ more moody tunes. I’m a sucker for minor keys and personification poetry. 

1. “Norwegian Wood” by The Beatles

A classic––it feels like home every time I hear it. 

1. “Umbrella” by Rihanna and JAY-Z

Maybe the best song to come out of 2008? Idk it was a good year for music. Ri-Ri got me cryin’ in da club.

1. “F-Stop Blues” by Jack Johnson

Another sad-boy song. From Jack’s album Brushfire Fairytales. Good rainy-day music. 

1. “Blind” by Face To Face

My dad used to play this on guitar all the time too. He’s a punk-rocker at heart. 

1. “Hurt” by Arlo Parks

One of the best new artists. And they’re only 21 years old!

1. “Piece of My Heart” by Janis Joplin

The queen of the blues! Janis is one of my mom’s favorites and an absolute icon. 

1. “Scarlet Begonias” by Sublime

Man, do I love me some Sublime. R.I.P Bradley. Don’t do drugs, kids. 

1. “Where It’s At” by Beck

Beck is so underrated as a musician- he can play so many instruments!

1. “Don’t Let My Down” by The Beatles

Maybe my favorite Beatles’ song. The rooftop performance makes me sob. 

1. “Hold Up” by Beyonce

THE MUSIC VIDEO?!

1. “I’m Only Sleeping” by The Beatles

The message in this song is so relatable. Also, Revolver is known for its psychedelic sounds. 

1. “Habit” by Louis Tomlinson

From former One Direction singer’s debut solo album Walls

1. “Girl Crush (cover)” by Harry Styles

Little Big Town’s lovely ballad transformed into a heart-melting acoustic plea by Harry Styles. 

1. “Killer Queen” by Queen

My sister’s favorite Queen song- it’s so fun to sing!

1. “Sunshine Of Your Love” by Cream

A 60s-hippy classic. 

1. “Susie” by Elton John

If you don’t feel like you need to dance when this song comes on, something is seriously wrong with you! 
There it is: the full playlist. I had a bunch of my friends listen through the playlist, as well as my dad and sisters. They all said it was a good mix of familiar songs and surprising new ones. Many people said that it also contained a good mix of quite a few genres: an apt representation of lots of music tastes in 2021, as well as how diverse my own music taste has become. If you like this playlist, feel free to share it with your friends, or create your own! You never know how it could impact your “Spotify Recap” next year!

Page Sutton

Winona '23

Hey! I'm Page, and I am a junior undergrad at Winona State University majoring in Applied and Professional Writing and Creative Writing, and minoring in Literature. I'm from Waseca, Minnesota, but I moved around the state a lot as a kid. After college, I plan to work as an editor/publisher while also pursuing authoring on my own. I enjoy reading, watching stand-up comedy specials on Netflix, baking (and eating said bakes), kayaking, and snuggling with my two dogs: Janey and George. In my head, I am dating Harry Styles…in reality, however, this is not the case, but I am a huge fan.