Vienna Wieland: How Getting Involved Will Help You Succeed

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winona chapter.

Vienna Wieland is a sophomore here at Winona State. She is very involved on campus, being the Vice President of the Society of Human Resource Management (SHRM) and the Dean’s Advisory Board (DAB). I wanted to interview Vienna because she has been a great role model for me here and has made me want to get more involved. Below are her thoughts and the process behind getting involved on campus. 

Bailey Rye (BR): What is your major and why did you choose it?

Vienna Wieland (VW): My major is human resources (HR) with a minor in business law and sociology. I have always had a sense of where I wanted to go in my life with regards to occupation. For a while in high school, I enjoyed both the medical and business field which is why I want to be an HR professional at a hospital. I think this was because I really enjoyed helping others and interacting with a variety of people. During my senior year of high school, I joined DECA, a business club, where we competed in a specific category. I decided to compete in the Human Resources category and the objective was to place someone in a position where they had to be relocated to a new town, with their family, for a pediatric position. Throughout this process, I really enjoyed planning out every detail of the hiring and onboarding process and realized my passion for HR. I loved the whole goal of HR and how it helps others realize their strengths, weaknesses, and passions, and then working to place them where their growth would be endless.

BR: What made you get involved? What was your push?

VW: Honestly, I have always been a very involved person. I don’t like to be sitting around or bored. I love going to events where I can expand my knowledge and network with my peers and other professionals. Being able to be around others who have the same values, intentions and passions as me really helped me get involved and want to be involved. I got involved very early on. It all started with SHRM. We network with different people, build up our resumes, talk with HR professionals and participate in company tours. In this club, we get an idea about what HR is all about. After a few months, I decided I want to take the next step and get involved with DAB. Here we are responsible for providing our peers with events that we believe would be beneficial. A couple of events we have done are a speaker series of business professionals, resume workshops, underclassmen socials and many fundraising opportunities for the Winona community. 

BR: How has getting involved helped you? How will it help others? 

VW: Both clubs have helped me in a variety of ways. They have built up my confidence as I continued to obtain executive board roles. I am currently the Vice president for both DAB and SHRM as a sophomore. I never thought I would get these positions, but all the members supported me throughout the process. It’s just all about putting yourself out there, being confident and finding out what you’re good at. As I continue on with these roles, I hope to help others find their confidence and realize they can do anything they put their mind to.

BR: What has been the hardest part of getting involved?

VW: The hardest part has been putting myself out there and believing that I can do anything I put my mind to. College is hard—every student understands that. Being vulnerable is difficult, scary and makes you not want to get involved, but sometimes you have to do the scary things in life. As you get involved, you start to realize that everyone has the same thoughts and feelings that you do. You may not know it, but you are surrounded by many who are rooting for you. Just understand that, and you will be okay.

BR: Is being in a club related to your major important? Or does it not matter?

VW: My favorite quote is, “Wherever you go, go with all your heart.” It is all about passion. If being in a club that relates to your major is something you’re passionate about, then go for it. But there are other clubs out there where you can show your passions. For example, there’s the club Her Campus. I love all the articles that are posted every week and enjoy reading them. The authors are all different majors, but they chose the club because they are passionate about writing. Putting that on a resume is a good talking point. It shows how you go for what you love to do, not just because it will help you with a job in the future. 

BR: What are some ways people can start getting involved? 

VW: Go to the club fairs and talk with people there. Learn about the club and see if it is the right fit for you. If you don’t like doing things alone, try finding a friend to join with you. Get advice from your professors and advisors on what clubs would be good for you. You can even go to a club meeting and if it’s not what you want to do, you aren’t committed yet. Just take this time to explore your interests. 

There are so many opportunities on campus to get involved. We have over 180 clubs and it doesn’t stop there. Vienna and I both think getting involved will really make the best out of your college experience. It is your chance to meet new people, make connections and live your best life. College comes with a lot of exploration and is really what you make it. Listening to Vienna’s story, how will you start getting involved?

Bailey Rye

Winona '20

Hello! I'm Bailey Rye and I am from Albert Lea, MN. I am a sophomore at Winona State, pursuing a major in business administration and a minor in management. I have been writing since the beginning of grade school and have loved it ever since. I write because I believe I have stories people can relate to and learn from. I love going on trips, watching tv series, and of course, cats. Other than that, I am just your ordinary girl trying to find her place in this big world.
My name is Hannah Hippensteel, and I like to say I'm a Chicago city-slicker, but I'm actually from the 'burbs. I'm currently a senior at Winona State with a major in mass communication-journalism and a minor in sociology. Catch me enjoying all Winona has to offer: the bluffs, the incomparable Bloedow's Bakery, and not to mention, Minnesota boys. With a goal of working at Teen Vogue, Seventeen or Glamour magazine, I'm soaking up every opportunity to keep my finger on the pulse and share my personal voice!