Trial and Error: The Learning Curve of an Online Education (During COVID)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winona chapter.

During these times of COVID-19, everything has changed and rightfully so. 

Businesses are closed, masks are mandated and toilet paper is scarce. Everyone is affected by this pandemic; but for the sake of my article, I am going to be talking about the pandemic as seen from a student’s view. Mine, specifically. 

Online classes are just as challenging, if not more challenging than in-person classes. You can plan and schedule everything you need—all of your assignments, quizzes and exams—yet there is this constant feeling as if you’ve forgotten something. You second guess yourself and go over your daily list three times, and then you may realize you missed your Zoom class that takes place once a week. But no worries, at least the participation points won’t affect your grade too much because you got your ten assignments in for the week. 

Working while juggling school is just as hard. I know a lot of people do so, and they do it well! And I am beyond jealous of their hard work and time-management skills. But it is hard to find a school-work balance or even work enough in between your school hours to make enough to survive. 

I had a sense of what I was getting myself into, but I didn’t expect it to be as challenging as it is. 

So I had decided to take a semester off. 

I’m taking time to work and not have the constant dread of school work on my mind. I’m stepping back and taking time for myself and the time I want to have to continue writing and spending time with family, among other things that will ultimately make me happy. I tried, and I went for it. I decided to continue my education during these times, but it was a trial. And I realized maybe it was an error, maybe I should focus on work and myself. 

So I’m happy to do so, because by next Fall semester I will be excited to go back and to continue my education in any way I have to. 

Jada is currently a sophomore at Winona State majoring in secondary social studies education. She enjoys writing about things she knows are familiar and may be relatable to others. When she’s not writing, Jada enjoys being with friends and family, reading about politics and history, and petting any animal she sees!
Cheyenne Halberg is a student at Winona State University with a major in Communication Arts and Literature Teaching. She is from the outskirts of St. Cloud, MN. Cheyenne enjoys writing to express herself and empowering others to do what they love. Her hobbies include spending time with friends and family, watching football, spending time outdoors, crafting and writing. Her life goal is to leave an impression on the next generations that allows them to embrace their unique qualities.