“Treat” Your Dog

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winona chapter.

National Dog Day is August 26th, but it’s not as if we don’t already celebrate how wonderful dogs are every single day. Regardless, you can use this “holiday” as an excuse to spoil your probably-already-spoiled pooch!

It sucks having to tell your dog no when they’re giving you puppy eyes as they watch you eat your food. I know I definitely wish I could share all of my snacks with my dog! (Here’s a picture of her. :) Her name is Mila.)  

Here are some recipes specifically for dogs, so you can share and not worry about hurting your buddy!

Frozen Peanut Butter Yogurt Dog Treats (from Cesar’s Way)

Ingredients:

• 32 ounces vanilla yogurt

• 1 cup peanut butter

Directions:

1. Melt the peanut butter in a microwave-safe bowl.

2. Combine the yogurt with the melted peanut butter.

3. Pour the mixture into paper cupcake liners.

4. Freeze.

Peanut Butter and Banana Dog Biscuits (from All Recipes)

Ingredients:

• 1 egg

• ⅓ cup peanut butter

• ½ cup mashed banana

• 1 tablespoon honey

• 1 cup whole wheat flour

• ½ cup wheat germ

• 1 egg white, lightly beaten, for brushing

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 300* F. Lightly grease a baking sheet.

2. Stir together the egg, peanut butter, banana, and honey and blend well. Add in the flour and wheat germ and mix well. Roll out the dough to ¼ inch thick and cut into whatever shapes you’d like with a cookie cutter. Place them on the greased baking sheet and brush the tops with the egg white.

3. Bake until the biscuits appear dry and golden brown; this usually takes about 30 minutes depending on their size. Once you remove them from the oven, let them cool on an oven rack.

Super Simple Sweet Potato Dog Treats (from All Recipes)

Ingredients:

• 1 sweet potato

• 2 ½ cups whole wheat flour

• ¼ cup unsweetened applesauce

• 2 eggs

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 350* F. Poke the sweet potato a few times with a fork.

2. Heat the sweet potato in the microwave for about 6 minutes or until tender. Cut it in half and scoop out the flesh; throw out the skin. Mash the potato and put about 1 cup into a large bowl.

3. Mix flour, applesauce, and eggs with the potato until you form a dough. Roll out the dough ½ inch and cut out shapes with a cookie or pizza cutter. Place cookies on an ungreased baking sheet.

4. Bake 35 to 45 minutes or until crisp. Leave on the pan to cool for about 10 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.

All of these recipes are fairly easy, but if you mess them up, don’t worry — your dog won’t notice or love you any less. :)

Cassie is a senior from Eagle, WI. She is pursuing a major in English with a writing emphasis and minoring in Applied and Professional Writing and Psychology. She hopes to one day work for an editing or publishing company and write books on the side. There are few things she loves more than Disney and Bernie Sanders, except maybe animals.
I love exploring the outdoors, writing, whales, and have a major sweet tooth for cheesecake! Volleyball and hockey are my favorite sports to play and watch. When it comes to writing, I love it. I truly enjoy being able to write articles and stories about topics people would enjoy reading.