Tired and Teary-Eyed: Review of1883

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winona chapter.

I am not someone that normally falls for cowboy stories, and before watching 1883 I found myself rolling my eyes at the idea of it. But over spring break, my mom had it on and my attention quickly shifted from my homework to the intensity of the story on our TV.First, I will talk a bit about what the show itself focuses on and then I will get into why I love it so much. Since finishing the show, I have not stopped thinking of it and the characters I grew to love and admire. 

The narration of the show is told from the perspective of 18-year-old Elsa Dutton, who is the daughter of a man who ends up leading their wagon train. The show centers around her family and is also narrated by her own voice. By doing this, viewers are able to connect more with the characters due to Elsa’s placement in the narration. 

The characters that are followed in the show travel from Texas to Oregon and encounter bandits, Native Americans, tornadoes, snakes, and disease all while going through their own individual crises. Love, betrayal, loss, growth, determination, loyalty, and morals are all questioned in each episode and viewers find themselves attached to whatever interests them most. My father was able to focus on the action of it and the bigger struggles each character faced, while I fixated on characters and inner conflicts. This show is able to give the viewers whatever they need and because of that, it is amazing. 

The Characters Feel Real 

The characters in this show were the first thing that grasped my attention and it is because of the complexity within each character. Since the wagon train has few people in it, strong relationships are formed very quickly. The obstacles they must overcome add to this even more and characters are able to bond over shared experiences and trauma. 

Through her narrative voice, Elsa Dutton, in a way, transforms the world around her into a separate character. It is portrayed as an enemy they must fight against and it is forever changing. Texas treats them differently than Wyoming, which adds a new and refreshing layer to each episode. The characters are constantly in danger and the relationships within the show are constantly evolving. 

This could easily be labeled as a “coming-of-age” show as viewers follow the growth of Elsa Dutton. Not only are we able to see her grow into a woman, but we also are able to watch how her family reacts to their changing daughter. 

The thing that surprised me the most about this show though was how real each character felt. Sometimes, at least for me personally, when watching historical shows it is hard for me to connect with them because they feel made up. This was not the case for 1883 and I think it had a lot to do with the actors and actresses that played the characters. 

Setting

The settings of each episode offer new angles and frames that add to the shift in nature as a character. The beauty of the scenery is part of what adds to the jarring reality of how dangerous the world around them is. 

At one moment the characters are safe and able to rest, and the next they are running for their lives. This is something that keeps viewers interested while also mirroring what living during this time must have actually been like. 

How Enemies Were Portrayed

No matter who attacks the main characters, the producers were always sure to explain why they were acting in such a way. In books or movies, it is hard sometimes because villains are often labeled as just that. In this show, villains were given a reason and back story which adds to the theme of the show: survival. It is not about who does what, but instead why someone does what. 
This show offered so much emotional and mental stimulation that I honestly am still working through. The lessons on life that this show includes are things I would not have thought about had I not been exposed in this way. If you are looking for a show to watch I highly recommend 1883, and it can be streamed on Paramount + or Amazon Prime. Enjoy!

My name is Emily Venné and I am a junior at Winona State University. I am double majoring in Literature and Language and also Writing Option. When my nose isn't buried in a book, I am either writing, hanging out with friends, or binge-watching my favorite tv shows. I dream of one day working in either publishing or editing, and maybe even writing a book of my own. <3