Time to Say Goodbye: 4 Lessons I Learned in College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winona chapter.

As I am writing this, tomorrow marks the first day of my last week of college. In many ways, my college career has both flown by and lasted an eternity. Flown by because I’m now about to be released into the “real” world, and I’m feeling like a baby bird about to take its first flight from the nest—unsure if it will fly or fall. And lasted an eternity because I have been in school for about 18 years of my life and have not experienced much of actual life, although I’m already in my twenties. 

With graduation approaching and as the sentimental person that I am, I have decided to reflect on a few life lessons that I have learned during my time in college—lessons I hope to bring with me into whatever direction life throws me after May 7.

1. Embrace change

Change is never an easy pill to swallow, especially for me. However, my college experience has definitely had its share of change. For one thing, my parents got divorced the summer of my freshman year, which I found especially hard at first. And secondly, I got to experience the literal entire world change because of a pandemic. No one could leave their house, unless it was absolutely necessary, toilet paper was nearly extinct and people were dying. However, while all this was happening, I was still in school preparing for my future—in just a completely new way. If anything, these changes have taught me that the world is ever-changing, unpredictable and that the only thing I can do is work with what I have and find ways to look on the bright side of things. It has also shown me that life is never meant to stay the same, so stop trying to make it that way.

2. You will meet people when you least expect it

During rather hard times in my life—that being my parents’ divorce and the time I considered leaving school for a year to reevaluate myself because I honestly didn’t know what I wanted to do with me life—I unexpectedly met people who made my life seem not as bad and who solidified my choice to continue with my major. Yes, they were boys, and no, they aren’t in my life anymore, but they got me out of a slump, so I thought it was worth mentioning. But I have also met some great people with similar interests as me who have made several of my classes more enjoyable. I have also met and learned so much from a bunch of wonderful writers at Her Campus!

3. You will doubt yourself, but it will only make you stronger

I have found that some of the greatest work I produce is when I doubt myself the greatest. Because I doubt myself, I put in that much more effort, and oftentimes it pays off. Self-doubt isn’t always a great thing to have because it can often run deeper than just the task at hand. However, self-doubt has taught me to put my whole being into whatever it is I’m doing so that I prove myself wrong. After all, I’m probably my biggest critic. 

4. Say yes (!) to experience

Although I would say living at home all throughout college may not have been the best way to experience college life, I have still had a few (*cough, cough*) common college experiences, but nothing too crazy. Nevertheless, I think I have come to value life experience so much more than I have in high school. I now have a greater appreciation for everything I have done, from what I learned in school, the work I’ve done in my internship, to the responsibilities I’ve taken on outside the classroom, and, of course, the memories I’ve made with people along the way. 

Well, there you have it: my last article for Her Campus and the life lessons I will take with me to my next adventure. If you are graduating soon, I hope this helped you think of a few lessons you will want to remember before you say goodbye. And if you are continuing your college journey next semester, I hope you make the best of it and enjoy it!

Farewell, Her Campus, thanks for the memories!

Anjuli is a senior at Winona State University majoring in applied and professional writing and minoring in psychology. She is interested in broadening her writing abilities and writing about topics that she is passionate about. In her free time, she enjoys spending time with her three cats, going to the movies and traveling.
My name is Hannah Hippensteel, and I like to say I'm a Chicago city-slicker, but I'm actually from the 'burbs. I'm currently a senior at Winona State with a major in mass communication-journalism and a minor in sociology. Catch me enjoying all Winona has to offer: the bluffs, the incomparable Bloedow's Bakery, and not to mention, Minnesota boys. With a goal of working at Teen Vogue, Seventeen or Glamour magazine, I'm soaking up every opportunity to keep my finger on the pulse and share my personal voice!