This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winona chapter.

Halloween is one of my favorite holidays of the year. The decorations, getting dressed up, baking pies, it can all be so exciting. Carving pumpkins is a Halloween tradition many people take part in. However, as tempted as you may be to throw away your pumpkins after this Halloween, keep in mind the impact you are making towards the environment. According to Linda Poon, a writer for “The Atlantic” magazine, more than ONE BILLION pounds of pumpkin are left to rot in America’s landfills. 

Here are some ways on how to properly dispose of your pumpkins this Halloween:

1. Smash your pumpkins open and leave them near the woods or a field for wildlife to eat. Pumpkins are safe for animals to eat and the seeds act as a dewormer.
  2. Ask a local farm if you are able to give your pumpkins to their cows or pigs.
  3. Eat them! Believe it or not, the entire pumpkin is edible, even the leaves and stems. They are loaded with essential vitamins and there are endless possibilities on how to cook your pumpkins. From pumpkin seeds and pie, to lattes or soup, you will certainly not regret throwing your pumpkin out.
  4. Make a facial with the inside of the pumpkin. Many skincare companies use pumpkin to hydrate and plump the skin. Not to mention that it is a great antioxidant.
  5. Compost. Compost. Compost. These organic materials can be used to fertilize and improve soil. When you compost pumpkins, this can create rich nutrients and be reused over again.

Not only do you get your money’s worth, but you are also creating fun and easy ways to make use of your pumpkins. It is a win-win situation. I challenge you to get full use out of your pumpkins this Halloween and not send them straight to the landfill.

Maiah Lan

Winona '23